Thursday, January 30, 2014

Cold Night Run in Easton

I didn't get around to running this afternoon.  I took a nap after lunch and went to dinner early.  That meant it was another night run.  I can't believe I'm crazy enough to do this regularly in this brutally cold winter.  I guess the thing is that it actually isn't that much colder at night than it is during the day.

It was around 20 degrees when I started.  I had on a lot of the usual gear, except my jacket instead of the fleece vest.  I was chilly, but not cold for a lot of the run.

I parked in the shopping center next to Easton High School.  The plan was to go out and back on the Palmer Bike Path.  I figured that it had to be at least 5 miles to Riverview Park from there, if not more.  I decided I would head out 5 miles and then come back.

I ran out and as usual, my eyes began to water in the cold.  At least there really wasn't any wind.  I was happy that the path was plowed.  I went along nice and easy.  My headlamp is dieing and I actually have to replace the batteries soon.  It did last the whole run.

The beginning was kind of boring.  It was just running alone through the neighborhoods.  Nothing too exciting.  The nice thing is that it is a gradual downhill in that direction.  Ideally, I would've started at Riverview and ran up the hill from there, but I didn't want to park at Riverview at night.

The first couple miles were good.  Then, my left Achilles area started to ache.  I had problems with that in the past.  I guess the miles were catching up to me this week.  I had to be cautious.

After some time, I was thinking maybe I wouldn't go too far out.  I was considering only 3 miles and then running more later if I felt alright.  I kept going.

Another reason I considered turning around earlier was it seemed to be getting colder as I got toward the Route 33 Boat Launch.  I put on my winter cap instead of the headband.  Even though my legs were cold, I figured maybe if I trapped heat from leaving my head, it would keep my whole body warm.  I don't know if it worked, but I did feel fine later on.  That might've just been my body getting used to running.

Although I wanted to turn around at mile 3, I kept going.  At 3.5, I thought of turning around again, but was enjoying the downhill, so I continued on.  Finally, just past mile 4, I did turn around and headed back.

I saw no one on the trail up to this point.  I was now in a wooded section of the trail, so I figured there wouldn't be anyone there.  I had to pee and thought about going right at the edge of the trail, instead of the woods.  I elected to hold it and it was a good thing I did.  Shortly after that, I saw headlights up ahead.  At first, I thought it was a truck.  Then, I realized it was a group of bikers.  I think there were 5 total.  They were the only people I encountered all night.

My Achilles still bothered me as I headed uphill, but it didn't get any worse.  I had quite a bit of elevation to climb now.  The nice thing is that it is so gradual that you almost don't notice it.  It was good to get out of the woods and back into the neighborhoods.  At night, that is a little more comforting.

I was going to run around one of the neighborhoods, but a dog was barking in that area.  A short while later, I saw a lightly traveled road right next to the trail.  I ran on that and around a neighborhood.  I got out about a third of a mile and then headed back.  I figured that by now, I'd be at almost 9 miles when I returned to my car.

I hit mile 8 and then mile 9 on the path near my car.  I opted to head out away from my car, because I knew a section of the path headed out a little farther.  I was behind the shopping center.  It looked like I could go beyond the road crossing, but I turned around at it.

I ran back toward my car and finished up right past my car.  It was a solid 10 miles.  I would've loved to have run 12 miles, but my body is getting too beat up.  Not only is my Achilles a problem, but my quads were getting sore.  I had real problems with that in the past, so I have to be very cautious there.

Tomorrow, I'm planning on meeting up with Emily to preview the Super Bowl 10k course.  I know the area in general, but don't specifically know the course.  She's not running it, but we'll both enjoy the company.  It should be a little warmer tomorrow too.  I'd actually like to run 12 miles if I can handle it.  I'll probably just run 60 miles this week.

10 miles - 1:24:41 (8:28 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment