Sunday, December 15, 2013

Sunday Short Run

I was debating whether to run or take off today.  Sunday is sometimes my off day.  Other times, I'll make it my easy day.  Since I took off on Wednesday, I decided on a short run.  The plan was a mere 4 miles.  At least that would kick start a new week with something.  Then I wouldn't have to chase miles later in the week.

I was debating about where to run.  I wasn't sure what would be plowed and what wouldn't.  I also didn't want to drive for a short run.  Instead, I decided to run in the neighborhoods around my house.

The weather was kind of tricky.  It was in the 30s with a bit of a breeze.  In one direction it was warm.  In the other, it was cold.  I wore a jacket over my top.  I had on gloves, but took my headband off early.

It was so warm by the time I started that the roads were just wet.  I ran from my house down to the school and to the other neighborhood on the side of the school.  I timed it right as they were plowing the school when I went through.  They had a path cleared to the other neighborhood.  I was happy.

I was a little sore after yesterday, but not too bad.  The legs did feel kind of fast early on.  I cruised along though.  I definitely didn't want to push it at all.  Some people were out shoveling, but it was good to be done with that.

I climbed up a gradual hill and hit mile 1.  This was into the cold and that made it tough.  I figured that at least it would be warm on the way back.  Then, I turned and went downhill.  That was much warmer.

This road goes to the industrial park.  It was very sloppy, so I'm glad only a few cars went by.  Even so, one of them almost splashed me from across the road.  I turned down the road as I usually do and I got to the end of it and turned back around.  That was right at mile 2.

Coming back uphill and into the wind was tough.  That was the sloppy part of the road too.  It was very windy at the top.  I was glad when I finally finished that section.  I then turned again.

As I was headed downhill through the neighborhood, I heard a loud noise.  It was quite amazing.  I had seen hundreds, maybe thousands of white snow geese in a field next to the road.  Now, hundreds of them were taking off.  That was cool and I was glad they weren't flying over me.  Who would've known if I would've been crapped on.

Going downhill for the final mile was nice, as was having no more wind.  I went to the school and then finished up with a short partial loop around my neighborhood.  It was good to be done and nice to not have to run far or through snow.  All in all, it was a good weekend.

I'm definitely doing a long run of some kind tomorrow.  I'd like to do 20 miles, but that might depend on how my legs feel.  I want to run at least 15.  I'm not sure where to run either, as I don't know what trails will be cleared and which ones won't.  I may have to drive around and try to figure it out. 

4 miles - 33:14 (8:19 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment