Saturday, December 21, 2013

Outstanding Weather, Outstanding Runs

The weather early on this winter has been absolutely awful.  At least for this weekend, we are having good weather.  Today, it was in the mid to upper 40s and nearly ideal running weather.  My plan was for a pair of runs.  I slept in because I was overworked the last few days.

Finally, around 11:30 in the morning, I started off for a run.  I didn't have a lot of time, so I ran around the neighborhoods near my house.  I didn't have much of a game plan on the route.  I made it up as I went along.

With the nice weather, I walked outside with shorst and a long sleeve shirt on.  Immediately, I knew I was overdressed.  I went back inside for a short sleeve shirt.  I couldn't believe how awesome it was outside.

I ran over in the other neighborhood to start.  I began by doing a short loop that I often run.  I felt good and the first mile was a fast 8:16.  It usually takes me a bit to get warmed up.  I decided to run through a section that I don't normally go on.  This had some hills to it.  It wasn't bad though because I was going easy.

I then got back to the main area.  My legs felt awesome and I seemed like I was running so fast.  I felt so much more freedom with less clothing on.  I began enjoying myself so much that I almost forgot about my times and splits and stuff like that.  I didn't check my watch.

I ran around another loop that I use sometimes, but not too often.  Miles 2 and 3 went down to a 7:40 and 7:33 pace.  I wasn't putting forth much effort either.  It was simply amazing what I was able to do.  I did find one thing funny.  I was listening to Blind Melon's "No Rain" before the run and of course it started to drizzle during the run.

I went around through a short loop in another neighborhood.  This had a hill as did a section later on.  I think these eventually took their toll, but at the time, I went over them like they were nothing.  I was flying and feeling good.  Running well can put you on such a high.

During those first 3 miles, the legs were a little sore and tight.  After 3 miles, they really loosened up and my pace dropped even more.  From that point on, I was super consistent.  I ran every remaining mile under 7:20.

I got back to where I would normally head back to the school.  I still had a good mile and a half to go.  Therefore, I went around the first loop again.  Before I knew it, I was back at the school.  I had about a mile left, so I looped around my neighborhood to finish up.  Even with the legs falling a bit, I ended with a 7:17 mile.

I had 37 miles for the week after that run.  Really, there was no point in running more.  However, I love getting to round numbers, like 40 miles and I also like running at night.  I went to the BCR Christmas Party in the evening and that was fun.  I got back after 10 and went out to run 3 more neighborhood miles.

It is a nice night out.  I like that the snow is still around and the Christmas Lights everywhere make things so festive.  It is a fun time to run in the dark.

Normally, I would run some loops at the school or in the other neighborhood.  This time, I decided on 2 loops around my own neighborhood.  Then, most of the run would be out of the way.  Each loop is nearly a mile.

The run was nice and peaceful.  I rarely encountered any cars.  All I needed was a lightweight long sleeve shirt to go with my shorts.  I'd take this weather any day.  The 2 loops went by quickly.  I let my mind wander and it was relaxing.  I didn't even think about looking at my watch.

After the 2 loops, I headed down to the school.  I figured that I would loop around the parking lot.  I did that twice and already became bored.  I had over half a mile to go yet to finish up.  I ran the shorter loop in my neighborhood again and finished up right next to my house.

It was a good day and a fun pair of runs.  I was so amazed at what a difference the weather made.  An effort that was an 8:15 pace last week was a 7:23 pace today.  That pace includes 3 slower miles as well.

Tomorrow will  be another easy 5 miler.  It should be warm again too.  I know it is supposed to rain a lot as well.  I have to run and take photos for the LVRR Ice Scrapper Series.  It should a fun day before the Eagles big night game.  Next week, I hope to get back on track and run 70 miles again. 

Morning Run 10 miles - 1:13:53 (7:23 pace)
Night Run 3 miles - 26:31 (8:51 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment