Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Pair of Runs Through the Snow

It has been a weird couple of days around here.  Normally, we don't get much snow in December.  Typically when we do, it doesn't accumulate.  That hasn't been the case lately though.  It snowed several inches today for the second time in the last three days.

I do like snow running, but it does kind of throw a wrench into my plans.  I was hoping for 10 miles in the first run and 5 miles in the second run.  With the conditions on the paths, I had no clue if that would be possible.  Ideally, I would've run in the morning as the snow was beginning.  Of course, I couldn't get up though

Instead, I headed out mid afternoon as usual.  I wanted to get some cool winter scenery photos, so I decided to head to Riverview Park and run to downtown Easton.  That would put me right along the Lehigh River.

I knew I'd definitely be going slow, so I had on a lightweight long sleeve top with a fleece vest over top.  I wore tights and a glove and headband.  The headband was actually soaked by the end of the run.  Although it was probably around the freezing mark at the time, the weather wasn't too bad.  There wasn't much of a breeze, just a slight headwind at times.

The path was snow covered at Riverview Park as I headed east.  It wasn't snowing any more, but the trees were still covered and it make for some awesome photos.  I took photo after photo after photo in this run.  I ended up with 245 of them when all was said and done.

I got to Hugh Moore Park after crossing the bridge over the river.  Much to my surprise as I headed toward Easton, the paved trail was actually already plowed.  I was kind of disappointed because I wanted the soft surface of the snow.  I ran on the snowy edges of the trail when I could.

The scenery along the river was cool, but I think the best was the section with the trail running along the water filled canal.  It was stunning and made me really enjoy the run.  I figured this run would be fun.

That didn't quite last.  I had not recovered well from the long run on pavement yesterday and my legs were kind of sore.  They definitely didn't need more pavement.  I didn't have a lot of choices though.

I saw a guy walking, a family walking and a lady running with her dog throughout this section.  There were a couple footprints and later some tire tracks, but for the most part, the path was empty.  It was nice to take everything in on my own.

Getting to Easton and taking photos of the snow where the Lehigh River meets the Delaware River was cool, as was seeing the free bridge.  I was enjoying myself and not even worrying about the pace, although to my surprise it was under 8:30 for a good chunk of the run.

I ran under the free bridge and to the end of the trail by the amphitheater in downtown Easton.  I was right at 3.5 miles.  That would get me to 7 miles when I got back.  It was perfect.

Coming back was a lot more of the same, although I had a setting sun in the background during this direction.  That was nice.  I hit the halfway point and my legs were beat.  I focused on each upcoming mile.  I wanted to get back to Riverview at mile 7.  Then, I could run on the snow in the other direction to finish up.

It was a slow trek, but eventually I did make it Riverview.  I had less than a 5k to go.  I headed out west towards the boat launch.  I was surprised at how much more used this section seemed to be when compared with the section going toward Easton.  There were a lot more tracks here.

I saw something cross the trail up ahead and I think it was a deer.  I was a little too late I guess.  It would've been cool to get a picture of them in the snow.  I passed a lady right around this time too.  I then turned around after going 1.5 miles out and I passed her again shortly after that.

I chugged along, trying to find some good footing.  It was starting to get icy as I finished up at mile 10.  It wasn't easy, but it was a solid, productive run.

I had a few hours of recovery.  I then had a photo shoot to go to.  After that, I went out to run again.  I couldn't decide where to go.  At first, I was going to start at Nor-Bath.  I wanted something where I could go out and back in both directions, to make the run seem easier.  I finally decided on the D&L Trail.

Rather than start where I usually do, either Cementon or Cove Road, I started in between the two at Laurys Station.  The plan was to head north toward Cove Road first for 1.5 miles.  Then go out 1 mile in the other direction.

It was definitely colder out after dark than earlier.  It was probably in the 20s by then.  I wore the same type of attire as earlier.  This time, my legs were actually cold by the end.

It took some time to get the legs started.  Early on, there wasn't much snow on the trail.  That would change though and eventually, I had plenty of soft snow to run on.  I think that was a big help.  I was sore, but it could've been worse.

It was nice running with the water of the Lehigh River on one side of me and some houses on the other side, although sometimes it was fields on that side.  I actually couldn't see that much in the darkness anyway.  I focused on breaking the run down into small increments.  It seemed to take awhile to get through that first mile.  Then, I got into a groove though.

I was very happy that the house with dogs at it didn't have them out and barking at me on the way out.  One of them did on the way back, but at least it didn't chase me, as they sometimes do.  I got to 1.5 miles right before Cove Road.  I decided I would go out to 1.75 miles.

I was feeling good and continued on even farther.  Finally, at 2 miles, I turned around.  Now, I'd be able to get to mile 4 when I was back at my car.  Other than the barking dog, not much happened on the way back.  I guess my pace quickened, but it wasn't noticeable.

I got back to my car at mile 4.  I headed out in the other direction.  That starts up right behind a couple houses.  It wasn't long before I was a half mile out and able to turn around.  I ran back and finished up at the car with 5 miles.

Considering the conditions of the day, I was thrilled to complete my planned 15 miles.  I wish I was a little less sore, but I'll get through it.  I might need to massage and foam roll a bit more this week.  I need some recovery because I have two more big days coming up.

Normally, I would run hard on Wednesday.  However, with the snow and how beat up I am feeling, that probably won't happen.  It will likely just be another 10 mile run early and 5 mile run later.  These will both probably be easy.  I have a 5 mile race coming up on Saturday anyway, so there's no need to kill myself on a Wednesday.

Afternoon Run 10 miles - 1:26:31 (8:39 pace)
Night Run 5 miles - 44:06 (8:49 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment