Monday, December 30, 2013

Going Over 300

I joined a challenge group.  The goal was to run 100 miles between November 25th and December 31st.  Of course, I knew I could do that, but I wanted to push myself further, much further.  Initially, I set the goal as 250 miles.  When I saw 300 miles was within reach, I readjusted and went for that.  After today's 10 miler, I'm over 305 miles with another day to go.

This challenge included my first 3 weeks of 70 miles or more.  I've never run that much.  Of course without the group I would've still run a lot, but I doubt it would've been this much.  I was also proud of the people in the group that went over 100 miles.  A few of them even went over 200 miles as well.

I changed things around this week after last night.  I have a 50k planned for Saturday.  I signed up for it way back when the Eagles were like 3-5.  I didn't think I would have to worry about having a playoff game.  Instead, we have one on Saturday night.  The 50k is in Northern New Jersey on Saturday morning.  I should be done in the afternoon and then I'll rush down to the stadium to tailgate and watch the game.  That could be interesting because I will certainly be sore after the race.  Hopefully it won't be as bad as my first 50k, where I cramped up several times while sitting around afterward.

I got out in the afternoon for this 10 miler.  It was that instead of the planned 15 miles.  I need to back off slightly this week.  I may run a 5k tomorrow anyway, so no need to overdo it today.

It was a typical, cold day.  I started at Mill Race Park and that was tricky.  That place is exposed to the elements and always has the most wind of anywhere on the trail.  I had on the usual clothing, including my fleece vest.  The headband and gloves went off and on throughout the run.  It was actually quite warm on the way out.

I held myself back early on, but my legs were feeling awesome.  Maybe that was the result of 2 shorter mileage days in a row.  I've typically been putting together back to back to back big mileage days and sometimes even a 4th long run in a row.  Then I rest and recover at the end of the week.

I cruised along.  There were a few people out.  Most were walking dogs.  I saw a young girl running and I think she had on an Easton Lacrosse sweatshirt.  She looked like a girl I saw running there when I was with Emily the other day.  If so, good for her.

Most of my early miles were a little over an 8 minute pace.  As the legs came around, it dropped under 8 minutes per mile.  I tried to focus only on small increments, since I had a long way to go.

I usually go out and back in several directions for runs like this.  Today, I wanted to go out 5 miles and run all the way back.  That meant crossing over and running on the Karl Stirner Arts Trail.  It also meant adding in some hills. 

As I hit miles 4 and then 5, I didn't feel all that great.  My legs seemed like they were getting weaker.  I also felt a little lightheaded at times.  I didn't eat much, so that may have been a factor.

I ran to the end of the Arts Trail.  That was the 5 mile point.  Coming back was tough because it is an early uphill.  The legs were struggling some.  I knew they'd carry me through the run, but it would take some work.  I was grateful that at least the trail was clear.  The only issue was that it was wet, but that is no problem.

At the near end of the Arts Trail, I came to a family.  The 2 kids were riding in Power Wheels.  That was cool and I joked that I need to get one of those.  They looked like they were having a blast.  It brought a smile to my face.

I really wanted to get to miles 7 and then 7.5.  The rest of the run would be manageable by then.  I did that and continued to cruise along.  I thought about different landmarks, like road crossings.  I went past Penn Pump Park with about 1.5 miles to go.

I wasn't working harder, but my pace was dropping and dropping.  I felt good that the end was near.  The last uphill to Mill Race Park was kind of challenging, but I made it.  The final 4 miles were all under 8 minutes and the last one was the fastest at 7:43.

It was good to get the run in and be over 300 miles for the challenge.  Now, I'm hoping to run that Peepsfest 5k tomorrow afternoon.  If I don't work, I'll be there.  If I do run that, I think I can break 20 minutes.  It looked like the top of the field was quite strong last year.  I also love the fact that it is a 1 PM race.  That is more of my element than morning runs are.  I'm hoping to run home from the race too.  That is another 8 miles.  Then, I'll rest more later in the week.

10 miles - 1:20:38 (8:04 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment