Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Continuing a Big Week with Another Double

Yesterday, I felt great during my 20 mile long run and more importantly, I recovered very well too.  That allowed me to do what I wanted to do today.  That was run a double session.  It was supposed to be 5 miles in the AM and 10 more in the afternoon.  Instead it was 10 in the afternoon and 5 more after dark.

All the miles were easy, so that was a big key.  This afternoon was beautiful.  The temperature was in the 50s.  I'll take that any day.  I went with shorts and a short sleeve shirt for the afternoon run.

I wanted to run somewhere different, so I opted for the D&L Trail at Sand Island.  I don't run there very often.  I should go there more frequently because it is mostly a dirt path west of Sand Island.  It used to be the same to the east, but they just redid the Freemansburg section.

I started off heading west.  There was a breeze along the river.  It was a little chillier than I anticipated.  It wasn't bad once I warmed up though.  I almost stepped on a dead pigeon early on.  That was an awkward moment.

This path isn't busy, but there were a few people out.  I saw a guy in the beginning and passed him again an hour later.  I couldn't help but notice there were a lot of lovely young ladies running.  I guess most were either Lehigh or Moravian students.

I cruised along and was running with about my usual effort and pace.  I enjoyed the path, although it was sloppy at times.  This section isn't the most beautiful.  It runs right along some train tracks on the other side of the canal.  I did see a couple ducks crawling on some ice in the canal.  That was neat.

The most annoying thing is that there is a busy train yard where the cars crash into each other.  That ended a peaceful run.  My peace was also ruined by a nearby island full of crows.  They were so noisy.

I kept going out and out.  I figured the farther that I could make it, the better.  My legs were slightly sore after the big day yesterday, but overall not too bad.

I got to the canal park in Allentown and ran a loop in the parking lot before turning around.  That put me at mile 4.5 and meant that I'd get back to Sand Island around mile 9.  On the way back, I ran into an interesting older couple that was sort of running and almost looked like they were dancing.  It looked funny, but I was glad to see they were out there.  A homeless guy was nice enough to say "hi" too.

The legs got a bit sore and I slowed slightly on the way back.  I managed to keep going with little problems though.  A train drove by and scared the crap out of me with its horn.  It had some tankers and I was glad it was going slow.  I wasn't sure what kind of chemicals were in there, but I'm sure it wouldn't have been good if it derailed.

I got back to Sand Island at mile 9.  I ran out the other direction.  I came across quite a few more cute women in this direction.  I was actually going to turn around at 9.6 miles, but then I saw one of them up ahead, so I kept going until I passed her.  I waited and turned around.

Perhaps the most impressive thing about a lot of these women was how fast they were moving.  Some might've been faster than me or at least close to it.  This last one had on a St. Luke's Half Marathon shirt.  I figured that if I would catch up to her, I'd tell her that I took photos for that race.  A brief conversation would've been nice and so unlike me.  However, I never came close to her and thus missed my chance.

I stopped at mile 10 and had a walk back to the car.  It was a nice and easy, solid 10 miler.  I made sure to stretch afterward.  I probably don't do that enough.  I should get on the foam roller tonight and more often as well.

After dinner and some rest, I headed to the Nor-Bath Trail for 5 more easy miles.  I started on the east end at Jacksonville Road.  The plan was 2.5 miles in each direction.  Since the legs ran earlier, I started off nice and slow.  This was actually probably a perfect pace for a second run of the day.  The first mile was just under 10 minutes.

I got a little faster, but not much.  I had wait at Airport Road both times, but it wasn't too long.  I got out to about 1.6 miles and I heard something howling across the field.  It was likely a dog, but it could've been a coyote.  I wasn't going to take a chance, so I turned around.  It kept howling for some time after that.  It was never close though.

All of this trail is fairly remote, so no matter where I was it could be slightly dangerous.  I wasn't too worried.  I headed back and when I got to the end of the trail it was around 3.2 miles.

After that, I headed the other way to the very east end of the trail.  This provides about another mile of running.  It was easy and fun.  The legs were again a little sore, but not bad.  I had on a jacket this time, but might not have even needed it. 

I got back to Jacksonville Road around 4.25 miles.  I decided to go back out in the original direction.  I went almost the whole way to Airport Road.  Since my overall pace was just over 9 minutes, I decided to push slightly in the last half mile or so.  I turned around at 4.8 miles and finished up at 5 miles.  I then walked back to the car.

It was another productive day.  That's 15 more miles after 20 yesterday.  It's only 3 days into the week and I already have 40 miles.  Only 30 more miles to go to hit 70 miles.  The legs are developing some soreness, so I do have to be cautious and listen to my body.

Tomorrow, I plan on 800 repeats.  I'd love to run 10 of them, but I'll let my body decide what it can handle.  If it is only 7 or 8, so be it.  I should be at the Nor-Bath Trail again.

Afternoon Run
10 miles - 1:22:17 (8:14 pace)
Night Run
5 miles - 44:51 (8:58 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment