Wednesday, December 18, 2013

No Idea How I Did That

It snowed a few inches yesterday, but all the roads were clear by today.  I had a morning order at work and I have a night one later on.  I had plenty of time to get in an afternoon long run.  The plan was for 15 miles.  I figured that the D&L section between Riverview and Easton would be cleared, as it has been so far this winter.  I also thought I might be able to go from Riverview to the Boat Launch without too many problems.  I was in for quite a surprise.

It warmed up a bit today and actually hit the 30s.  I think it was just above freezing when I started the run.  I wore my jacket over my ColdGear top.  I figured that probably didn't need that much, but it was a bit chilly and I knew it would get worse as the sun went down (the run started after 3 PM).  I had on a headband and gloves.  I wore the headband for most of the run, but gloves were off rather early.

I wanted to go out pretty far away from Riverview and toward the Rout 33 Boat Launch.  I figured that if the trail was cleared, I'd continue on up to the Palmer Bike Path.  Then, I could get a solid 4 miles each way in that direction.

The section between Riverview and the Boat Launch was plowed.  However, it wasn't completely clear.  It was a mixture of pavement, snow and ice.  It was quite tricky at times.  With a lot of rest lately, the legs felt awesome in the beginning and I was absolutely flying without much effort.  The first 2 miles on the way out were just over 8 minutes long and after that, I got even faster.

The trail did get worse as I closed in on the Boat Launch.  When I got there, I started up the hill toward the Palmer Bike Path.  This was even worse and more icy.  Plus, it was uphill, so that made it extra tricky.  I was surprised it was even plowed.  I sputtered up the hill until I hit mile 2.  That was enough.  Running 4 miles total in this section would have to do.  I saw a lady cross country skiing next to the trail.  That looked like fun, although she was barely moving.

I ended up running miles 3 and 4 at under an 8 minute pace.  That 4th mile was even a 7:43.  I couldn't believe it.  Things slowed dramatically after that.  I headed out in the other direction and the short section before Hugh Moore Park wasn't plowed at all.  I could've used snowshoes for this part.  I struggled along, but managed to get through.  It slowed my pace though and took a lot out of my legs.  I continued to run much slower from that point on.

I don't usually run in Hugh Moore Park when I run here, so today I thought I'd give it a try.  The National Canal Museum is located there.  It is a long parking lot.  It was clear of snow and there was little traffic.  It was ideal.  The out and back route was a little over a mile long. 

After that, I figured I would run the D&L all the way to Easton.  After all, this section had been plowed after every other snowfall.  For some reason, they didn't touch it after yesterday.  It had about an inch or two on the surface.  That made it runnable, but slow and tricky.  Snow like this seems to really bother my feet and legs.  Maybe it is the uneven surface.

I passed a guy walking his dog.  The dog came up to me and I guess wanted to play.  It was well behaved, but I guess I should be more cautious of dogs without leashes, especially in more remote areas.  I didn't go very far out on this stretch before heading back.

I got back to Hugh Moore Park at about the planned halfway point of 7.5 miles.  I was already exhausted and the legs were beat.  By now, I was doubting that I'd do the mileage that I wanted to.  Since Hugh Moore Park was clear, I decided on another loop around there.  I figured I could run on the other side of the river then and get in around 11 miles.

After the first loop, I thought I might as well do a second one too.  That put me near 10 miles when I was done with that section.  I ran on the road back to Riverview this time.  That is tricky with no shoulder and narrow lanes.  It was a better option than the snow covered trail though.

I got back to Riverview at 10.4 miles.  I was so tired and thought I would only do a short out and back to get to 11 miles.  I had not had a drink and in fact I didn't eat or drink anything on the entire run.  I felt good when I got back on the pavement at Riverview.  I kept going and going.  I got out over a mile before turning around.

I passed a guy and he mumbled something to me.  I now was nearing 12 miles and figured I would get in more.  I thought I needed 14 miles to get to 200 for this challenge I'm doing.  It turns out I came up a mile short today.  I got to Riverview over 12 miles into the run.

I wanted to keep going, so I went back on the road and back over to Hugh Moore Park.  I figured by the time I'd get there, I'd hit 13 miles.  I then could gut out 2 loops over there and walk back.

I had to stop and stand on a snowbank along the road as some cars passed.  At least I didn't fall in the snow.  I got to Hugh Moore and was slightly over 13 miles.  I headed out around the parking lot.  There is a loop near the museum.  I ran it not once, but twice.

I was over 14 miles and approaching 15 miles as I crossed the bridge.  It was getting dark, so I decided to take the tough, snow covered route for the final .2 miles.  That was a real challenge, but I made it.  I still had to walk back through the snow and then I nearly fell on some ice while walking.  I run all over ice with few problems and walking nearly does me in.

It was great to have a productive run.  I got all the miles I was looking for, even though the conditions were tough.  My pace slowed and my body was beat up by the end, but I made it through.  I'm glad too because I don't know if I'll be able to run tomorrow with how busy I'll be at work.  I certainly need 1 mile anyway to reach 200 for the challenge.  How fitting will it be to do that on my birthday?  If I'm lucky, I'll get in 5 miles.  I hope I can find time for a few more on Friday, but I know I'm busy then too.

15 miles - 2:07:37 (8:31 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment