Monday, September 26, 2011

Varying Speed Paces

This morning was another interval session.  I headed to the D&L Trail in Cementon for the 6 miler.  It was the same setup as last week (one mile warmup and cool down with 3 minutes at goal pace +30 seconds and 3 minutes active recovery), just a mile further.  This added one more interval to last week.

I was surprised at how well my legs felt early on.  They were kind of dead last week, but fresh at the start of this one.  I had to push a bit on the first interval, but it was good.  The second interval was very tough though.  I went harder than I wanted to in order to stay under the 7:30 pace.

Things seemed to start getting a little out of whack on the third interval.  I managed to get well under pace, but it took awhile.  At one point, my watch went from over a 7:30 pace to under a 7:15 almost instantly.  I guess maybe it was missing signals.

After the third interval, I recovered for a couple minutes and then turned around.  The problems with the GPS were more of the same on the 4th and 5th intervals.  I felt like I was running with about the same effort for both, but after 45 seconds, interval 4 was barely under a 9 minute pace and interval 5 was under a 6 minute pace.  There is no way I was running that fast or that slow in either.  Obviously, the paces get more accurate as you run farther, but this was messing me up.  Even with the crazy slow start to the 4th interval, I finished with a 7:34 pace.  The 5th and 6th intervals were both under 7 minute pace.

I was really tiring by that final interval (the 6th).  I was really battling the heat and humidity.  It was rough.  There wasn't much shaded either.  Time seemed to slow down, although it seemed to do this during the active recovery segments as well, so that was nice.

Overall, I'm very happy with the effort.  I think from now on, I have to be less concerned about the interval pace.  I just need to run steady and hard.  I don't want to keep changing my paces as much as I did today.  I'll use the watch as a guide, but not the be all end all.

My legs aren't too sore, but my back did bother me a bit while sitting down.  I'll likely run with the Finish Line Group tomorrow evening.  Hopefully that will be an easy run.  Even if it isn't, I have quite a bit of time to recover from today's run.

6 miles - 50:47 (8:28 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment