Thursday, September 15, 2011

LVRR Group Run

Tonight was the first group run with the LVRR.  It was unseasonably cold, but we still had 4 runners show up in addition to the two of us leading the run.  The other runners were all women, so it wasn't a fast pace.  It turned out to be a comfortable run.  We ran south from the clubhouse and looped back around to the covered bridge and back to the clubhouse.  It was a little over 4 miles.

I led the whole group and the other guy stayed back with one of the women.  I ran a little faster with another women.  It was good talking throughout the run and I was able to share a lot of my running knowledge.  We picked it up a little and finished at just under an 11 minute pace.  It was good because I was a little worried that I'd have trouble even running that slow.  It didn't bother me though.  If the group continues to be that easy, I'll make it the second run of the day.

After the run, I decided to go for my tempo run.  The first run made for a good warmup.  I basically just ran the 5K course.  The goal was to hit those three miles at a 7:30 pace.  The first mile in the cold went well.  I was under pace.  Some of the hills slowed me down and I was about a second over pace as I hit the last set of hills.  That slowed me down and the pace slowed to 7:32.

I was really starting to fatigue after over 6 miles run total on the evening.  I wanted to meet my goal, so I really pushed it in the final quarter mile.  I started to get a side stitch, but I managed to get faster.  I finished with a very satisfying 7:28 pace.  I probably shouldn't have pushed so much for a couple seconds, but that's the competitiveness of me.

I am amazed at my pace and progress.  I basically ran the tempo segment at my 5K race pace from early August.  That is after running 4 miles before starting the tempo run.  The hill running and other group runs have been a huge help.

I was in some pain after going to the bathroom, so I didn't get to stretch.  Hopefully I won't be too tired tomorrow or sore.  I'll be doing an easy 5 miles.  It'll most likely be at the state park that we are camping at.  Saturday I'll be running 8 miles there on the Appalachian Trail.  It should be a fun weekend.

4.18 miles - 45:05 (10:47 pace)

3 miles - 22:24 (7:28 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment