Monday, September 19, 2011

Doing Some Intervals

After at least salvaging Friday's run, the rest of the weekend was terrible.  The plan for the trip was to run the Appalachian Trail for my 8 mile long run.  Instead, I was sick in bed all Saturday with stomach cramps.  Too bad, because the short part of the trail that we hiked on Sunday seemed pretty nice.  It was a drop in elevation too.

I felt much better today, so I headed out for the scheduled interval session.  I decided to use the flat Nor-Bath Trail.  As it gets closer to the race, I might do speedwork with more hills to get used to it for the challenging race.  I started at Bicentennial Park, so I wouldn't have to cross busy Airport Road and I also could run further west on the trail than I ever have before.

The plan was for one mile of warmup and cool down.  The three miles in between consisted of intervals of 3 minutes at a 7:30 pace, followed by 3 minutes of active recovery.  This certainly seemed reasonable.

I did have to work a little more than I would've liked to keep the first interval around 7:30.  Even after a mile warmup, my legs weren't ready to run as fast as I needed them to be.  I still just tried to concentrate on good form though, rather than pushing it.  The second interval, I got into a better groove.  It seemed quite easy actually.  Things got tricky though as I hit a new section of the trail.  It had some paved surfaces, rather than gravel, as well as some hills.

I turned around a little before I got to Northampton.  The third interval started out easy.  I was barely working at all and staying comfortably below pace.  It seemed to easy, until I hit a hill.  Then I had to push to stay under pace.  Right after I started the fourth interval, I passed another run.  He seemed startled.  I guess I was going to fast.  It seemed like he was catching up during my recovery portion.  I didn't want to pass him again, so I picked it up a little more.

I could've finished with 4 intervals, but I had enough distance left yet to do a 5th interval.  I don't know if my watch was right or not, but I was running under a 7 minute pace in the first 45 seconds and it just seemed too easy.  The whole interval was well under pace and maybe harder than I should've run it.  You want to work hard, but not overdo it.  My legs were starting to tire at the end.

I've become good at running a consistent pace.  That makes it go for tempo runs.  It seems that I have to work on intervals though.  My legs get stronger and I run them too fast as time goes on.  I need to be more consistent.  Adding hills will be great for these runs too.  My goal is a 7 minute pace right now, I'm very confident that I could do that on a flat course, just not sure if it is realistic with Berwick's hills.  We shall see.

Tomorrow, is an easy 5 miler.  I'm definitely going to run at the Finish Line.  I haven't been to their group run in a couple weeks.  Hopefully, there will be someone there to push me, but not too hard.  I don't want to be overly taxed.  It will be good to get back with that group though.  This will be my first week of 6 straight days of running during this training cycle.  We'll see how well I adjust to it.

5 miles 40:46 (8:09 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment