Friday, September 23, 2011

Easy Rain

I went out and got my easy 3 mile run done in the rain today.  I decided to start at Riverview Park and do an out and back.  When I started, it was a light drizzle so wearing just a shirt was a no brainer.  I did want to stay dry, so a jacket would've been nice, but it was just too humid as well.

Within the first mile, I came upon some deer right along the trail.  I really didn't even notice them until they were in the woods just a few feet from me.  I guess I was concentrating too much on running.

Most of the run was quite uneventful.  It has some decent scenery, but is really just flat and straight.  I was surprised that I nearly made it to the Route 33 boat launch after a mile and a half.  I didn't think it was that close.  The rain picked up quite a bit and it was steady.  My clothes eventually were soaked.

Again, I worked on form and trying to run tall.  That really seemed to help when I put in a fast final mile.  I certainly didn't put in any effort, but my time picked up.  I've become really good at starting off slow and upping the pace significantly without any effort.

When I biked this area a couple months ago, I remember coming across a steep hill near Riverview.  I found it and it was perfect for short hill sprints.  I haven't done those enough and need to get into a habit of incorporating them more.  My hill running has definitely strengthened me and made these sprints much easier.  I didn't feel it at all until the last two.  The seventh (and final one) did bother my right hamstring after I finished up.  I was glad I didn't have to do anymore.  I made sure to stretch the hamstring good too after the run.

Tomorrow is my long 9 miler.  I'm planning on running it with the Breakfast Club Runners on the Plainfield Rail Trail.  I'm also hoping to get over to the NMS and watch a 5K which some of the group is running in as well.

3 miles - 26:30 (8:50 pace) 

No comments:

Post a Comment