Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Making Progress with a Progression

Tonight, I ran a 3 mile progression run.  The last 10 minutes were at moderate pace.  I ran around the Blue Eagle 5K loop in total darkness.  It ended up being my best option with tonight's weather.

Originally, I was going to run down along the Lehigh River before dinner.  The road I wanted to use was closed.  By the time I got to the next location, I had to use the bathroom and there was none around.  Eventually, I made it to the Route 33 Boat Launch.  After the bathroom trip, I watched the water in the river briefly.  It was high and actually flooded the westbound path.  As I was watching the water, I heard a loud sound.  I could actually hear the rain drops coming at me and within a minute it was pouring.  I didn't have any good rain clothes with me, so I went home.

I don't mind one day of rain, but everything was still drying out from yesterday.  I decided to wait until things cleared up after supper.  That meant I didn't head out for the run until 8:30.  I thought about running the Nor-Bath trail, but opted instead for the quiet neighborhood streets.

The weather was perfect.  It was nice and cool as I started out.  I cruised along at a comfortable pace.  I encountered a few people walking (some with their dogs), but not many cars.  It was a pleasant run.  I have definitely become much stronger of a hill runner in just a short period of time.  These short rolling hills of this route felt like nothing.  Even went I ran faster, they were still relatively easy.

After about 15 minutes, I picked up the pace.  I ran a solid 7:55 final mile which is perfect for a moderate pace.  I decided to run to the 5K point.  My total time was less than a minute and a half off my race time on that course a month ago.  Not bad for a moderate training run.

The only problem I really encountered was some minor chafing again.  I wore the shorts that bother me, hoping that they wouldn't be as much of a problem in the cooler weather.  They were better this time, but still caused problems.

After the run, I drove to the biggest hill I know close by.  I ran 5 X 8 second hill sprints.  Those are meant to strengthened muscles and prevent injury.  They seemed quite easy too though.  The mountain running from a week ago really made me strong.  Now, I just have to keep building on that.

I still really want to hit a trail this week.  Therefore, I'll like head to Trexler tomorrow for my fartlek run.  That is probably not the ideal place for a "speed play," but I can take it easy if I have to.  Hopefully I can finally get on the marathon course on Friday.

3.1 miles - 25:23 (8:12 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment