Saturday, April 17, 2010

An Outstanding Surprise

You typically know that the hard work you are putting in is leading to improvements, but sometimes it takes a race to see just how much. That was the case as I ran Step Up, Step Out Walk/Run for the Red Cross this morning. I'm not doing any 5K training, but I ran the race faster than I ever have and far better than I could've predicted.

I took home 3rd place overall and was the 2nd male to finish, after an astonishing 18:40 time. My goal coming in was modest, just to break 20 minutes. That would've been a nice step. This was great. I sort of knew from my speedwork sessions, that I could run around this fast. I just didn't really think I could string together 3 miles at that pace.

The start of the race was a sign of things to come. The eventual winner asked me at the beginning if I knew where we were turning. I wasn't sure. I'm not used to being that far up front. He did actually miss the turn and so did I. We all had to backtrack and he had to pass me again. Another entertaining part to the start was a kid from Students Run Philly Style asking me if it was the start of the race. After I told him it was, he backed off and slowed down.

I ran a very fast first half mile. The pace was blistering. My legs were really hurting and I knew I had to slow down to survive. That said, the fast started definitely helped keep me from dropping off too much. Warming up before the race helped loosen up my legs some too. I flew to a 5:58 first mile. I didn't even know if I could run a single mile that fast at this point.

I was pretty comfortable and relaxed, but still working hard as we continued on. That is something I have been trying to work on lately and have been doing a much better job of. Going so fast, the race just flew by. There was some beautiful scenery around, but we didn't have much time to look at it.

I had passed someone around the mile mark and that launched me 5th overall. There were still two guys up ahead running together. I just ran my own race though. I was more concerned about losing a spot to those behind me, than catching those ahead of me. I slowed down some in the 2nd mile 6:19. I was in a groove though.

I noticed I was really catching one of the guys ahead of me. I thought we actually short cut the course at the Japanese House and later found out we did. It was poorly marked though and all the leaders in front of us did the same. We just followed.

For most of the final mile, I found myself in 4th place and as the 3rd place male. I knew that was $75 of prize money, so I wanted to hold that position. The guy ahead of me wasn't sure where to go on the course, so I got up along side of him and told him where the lead woman went. He lost a lot of momentum and was slowing. I knew I could out kick him down the stretch, but I didn't expect him to fall off that much.

I ran hard down the long finish straight and briefly looked back to see I was pulling away from him. I was just so amazed to see that I was 3rd overall and the 2nd male as I neared the finish line. I blasted through the line. The time would be a new personal record by 12 seconds, but as I said earlier, us leaders did cut the course. My watch said we ran .05 miles short of a 5K. That is even after going a little further past the one turn.

I'm still very impressed with the outcome. I knew coming in that I could run up front, but I just didn't realize that I had that much speed right now. Clearly the speedwork I've been doing, even though it for longer distances, is really helping. Running short and fast with the run club on Tuesdays is a big plus. What a great way to end a terrific week. It is scary to think what I could do with 5K specific training.

It was a good day for all of our team. Bill took home a new PR. Nate finished just behind him and actually won an age group award. Dan finished the whole race and ran most of it. Lisa, Kim and the others ran well too. We then had a cookout at Dan's afterward took. It was a fun day for all involved.

It is amazing how much base mileage can do for you. I knew I was in the best shape of my life and my endurance was better than ever. I still didn't think my speed was quite to this level yet. One of my goals is to run a PR this year in the 5K as well as the longer events. I basically already did that now, even though I can't count this since the course was short. I know I'm fast enough to do so though.

This was a huge boost of confidence. That's not exactly something I need more of. I'm already a very confident runner by nature. This 5K time actually projects out as a 3:01 marathon. If I can run close to that, I'll be tickled. Before this race, I was on the fence about whether I could run a marathon fast enough to qualify for Boston. Even though a 5K time isn't a good judge, I know I'm capable of running a few minutes under qualifying time. I still will have to run a smart race and do a lot of things right during the marathon, but I'm fully capable of doing so. I just really have to learn from next week's training run on the course and develop a strategy.

I was a little behind on writing about Friday's trail run, so I'll do that now as well. I finally got up early and ran in Wissahickon. I was up by 6:20 and on the course by 7:30. It took quite awhile for my body to adjust to the early start. I felt very sluggish early on. Luckily, i took a nice and easy path to start.

There was certainly plenty of climbing as always, within the first mile. It was nothing compared to some other days though. I ran on the east trails and took off running north. The weather was gloomy and cool early on. It was cloudy, but even when the sun did peak out, it was covered by the tree canopy.

This section really sucks and isn't the best way to start the run. It is big rock after big rock after big rock. It got very annoying after awhile. I was forced to run slow. Some of the other trail sections are rocky, but they usually have fast and flatter sections too. I had to be careful not to injure an ankle. I cruised along. I was actually lost because there are quite a few trails connecting in that area. One time, I came out onto a road. I had to backtrack and eventually I made it to one of the main road crossing.

I decided to continue running north, through a section that I had never run before. It was very tough. It was right along the creek and even more rocky. It was cool to see the creek, but the route was almost not runnable for awhile. Some sections were sandy too. Eventually that ended and the path went through a section of bushes. It was just barely wide enough for one person to run through.

When I hit a road, I decided to just turn around. As I was coming to the end of the bushes, I saw what I thought was a dog. After a few seconds, it appeared to have a longer bushy tail and was orange. It disappeared before I got a really good look at it. Either way, I was taking a chance, so I went back to the road. I ran by Chestnut Hill College.

When I got back to the nature area, I had a tough time finding my way around. I was climbing and climbing and climbing and not even sure if I was going in the right direction. That combination is frustrating, especially when you are only halfway through a run. I kept going what I thought was the right direction. After seeing sign after sign of landmarks that I didn't know, I finally found one for Forbidden Drive. I made my way back there.

I started running on Forbidden Drive, but shortly had to stop to use the restroom. I went to where there was a portable one last year, but it wasn't there yet. That has been the case thus far this year at a couple locations. I walked for a bit, until I felt better. I then was able to run after a few minutes.

I decided to just run to Valley Green. That was closer than I thought. After two miles, I came to it and used the bathroom. I still had a mile and a half left. I started on Forbidden Drive, but quickly found a steep trail to climb. That was challenging, but fun. I always loving working on going uphill. I did finish the run on a downhill though after turning around.

Not everything went smooth in this run, but I got through it. I thought I was getting better on the hills, but I was still quite winded at times. No question, I am getting better it is getting easier, but it is still very tough.

Tomorrow, I'm running 18 miles. After back to back 20 mile Sundays, I'm backing off. I'll probably just run the loop twice. I need to make it a little easy after the hard 5K today. After the run, I'm heading up to Boston for the marathon. I got a great deal on a hotel. It is only $58 and half an hour from the start line. It is a Crowne Plaza with their regular rate being $152 and up. I can't wait for the race. Hopefully it'll inspire me even more.

5K
3rd overall (2nd male) won $150
3.05 miles - 18:40 (6:07 pace)

Trail Run
9.05 miles - 1:20:58 (8:57 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment