Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Ben Franklin Bridge

Today was a recovery day after yesterday's hard session. I wanted to get up kind of early, but ended up sleeping in until after 9. That was helpful when I did get to running.

By that time it was nearly lunch time. Even though it was an easy 4 miler, I still made today's run a little more difficult. I elected to run the Ben Franklin Bridge. I actually started off just past Broad and Spring Garden.

I ran through some dumpy neighborhoods. Eventually, I got to Franklin Square. That place is a really nice park for kids. It is at the foot of the Ben Franklin Bridge. Also at the foot of the bridge was a portable bathroom. That worked out great since I really had to go at that point.

I felt pretty good as I hit the bridge. My legs weren't sore or anything. I had recovered nicely. The bridge itself was a bit of a challenge. I didn't quite respect how long it was. The climb isn't steep, but it seems never ending. I got very winded by the end of ascent. It didn't help that I only drank coffee before the run, no Gatorade or water.

Running towards Camden isn't that exciting. Looking out over the water is nice though. I decided to keep going long after I hit the 2 mile point. I ran most of the way down the bridge and nearly into Camden.

I then turned around and ran back. It wasn't quite as long of a climb on the way back. Looking at the city skyline was great. I cruised back down the other side. I finished the run just past the foot of the bridge. I then ended up walking the final mile or so back home.

I was called into work early today. I felt pretty good for most of the day, even after carrying heavy equipment boxes around all day. Eventually, everything caught up with me though. I was very sore by the end of the day. My legs are quite sore now as I lay in bed. Work is great for keeping me active, but combined with all the running I'm doing, my body is really taking a beating. I'm so tired and ready for bed already.

It is a good thing too because I have to get to sleep shortly. I work at noon tomorrow and need to get in a 9 mile trail run before that. That requires me to get up at 6:15. I really need to start my run around 7:30. It'll likely take me close to two hours to complete. I look forward to it. Friday will be a much needed rest day. I can't wait.

4 miles - 33:12 (8:18 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment