Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Heat Wave Continues

More near record highs and another brutal run. At least today was an easy day. I went out and ran a 5 miler to recover from yesterday's speedwork. I did get out about an hour earlier today (around 9 AM). That might've helped a little, but it was still blazing hot.

I decided to change up my running route a bit. I want to work in some hills, so I started off going on the Lemon Hill route. I headed straight though and towards the east side of the park. After crossing Girard and briefly heading north, I turned around and decided to run on the west side of the park instead.

I ran through the first section during the marathon. It is a tough and gradual uphill climb. It really killed me in the marathon and wasn't much better in the heat. After that, I wandered through the nearby roads and eventually ran behind Memorial Hall. This is a great area because it was used for the Worlds Fair many years ago. This section is also lightly traveled by vehicles and some of it is closed to construction too.

After that, I continued on through the Japanese House and Garden. That is beautiful as is the Horticultural Center that I ran through next door. It was nice and scenic early spring run. Definitely a little bit different than the river route.

I then came out onto West River Drive via Montgomery Avenue. I made sure to stop at the water foundation across the stretch. That helped, but I still struggled to finish the run. It was just too hot and there's still so little shade because the leaves on the trees haven't come in yet.

I had to focus from half mile to half mile just to finish the run. I managed to do so about a mile from Lloyd Hall. I then had to walk back there. That was a good recovery. The one good thing with the heat is that it slowed my pace down, more to where it should be.

My hamstring continues to bother me. I'm sending more time on the foam roller now. I used it before the run and before bed. I'll need to work it in daily. I am considering buying the stick, but it is quite pricey.

Tomorrow is an early morning trail run. It is 8 miles at a moderate pace. I think it is going to be hot again, so I might have to bring my Camelbak. We shall see. It'll be a nice and challenging run before work.

5 miles - 41:36 (8:19 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment