Thursday, April 22, 2010

Just Another Challenging Trail Run

This afternoon, I went out for a very challenging 11 mile trail run at Wissahickon. That is the longest trail run I have done. It was fairly hot out too, so that made it tough. At least it was shaded though.

I started off running on the east side of the trail. This time I started on a different section than I typically do. It was a longer and more gradual climb. It was definitely tough, but not as tiring as usual. I passed two people riding horseback at the top of the trail.

There was still plenty of climbing and lots of rocks after the initial climb. It wasn't nearly as bad as some of the other sections though. I was able to fly through some sections though. I came out and could see Bells Mill Road below. I didn't want to run down and back up.

I ended up running through an open field that they are now clearing with construction vehicles. I followed some blue flags, but it led to nowhere. I then turned around and ran back. I was getting pretty dehydrated by that point. I was relieved when I finally made it back and sipped some Gatorade.

Following that stop, I ran along the lower trail on the west side of the park. I ran north this time, rather than south. This section is quite rocky, although I remember it being worse than it actually was. I did have to slow down through some of the terrain though. It was deceptive too, because there were a lot of small rolling hills.

One section was basically like a small creek with water flowing across it. I slowly navigated through it. I did have to cross an actual small creek later on. My new North Face shoes did hold up pretty well on that. There were a lot of other sites too as I made my way along the trail. There's a pedestrian bridge. There was a beach type area along the main creek, with some teenagers swimming and sunbathing in it.

I eventually came out and crossed a bridge. That led me to an area of Forbidden Drive that I am familiar with. I came across some more horses. I decided to walk by them. I then ran down Forbidden Drive for a bit, so I wouldn't come up behind them.

I eventually made my way back to the car on the trail. I was very exhausted by this point. I found myself walking for briefs periods. This happened quite often, especially on rocky sections. It was a struggle to finish. It was definitely one of my most difficult runs ever.

When I got back to Valley Green, I ran out almost another mile. I then came back and finished right in front of Valley Green. The last mile and a half or so was pretty comfortable. It was a relief to finish.

My new trail shoes weren't bad, but they did cause some problems. My trail socks were too thick and I nearly blistered. I rolled my ankles quite a few times with my shoes. I bought them a half size bigger than my other trail shoes. I might have to make sure my laces are tighter in the future. I really don't want to get seriously injured.

Speaking of injury, I really need to learn how to run downhill better. I don't extend my stride, but I don't slow down either. Eventually, I might trip on a rock or root and hopefully won't cause myself to be injured.

I continue to be amazed at how well trails allow my legs to recover. They were very sore after yesterday's 10 mile run. After this exhausting 11 mile run, I wasn't sore at all. I feel great, but still might go on the foam roller.

It is amazing how much energy I still have too. I drove by Kelly Drive and almost wanted to run again, even after the tough run was over. I actually seriously considered riding my bike in the evening.

Tomorrow is a very easy 4 mile run. That'll probably happen fairly early in the AM. I don't work until 4, but it'll be nice to get the run out of the way. That'll be a new high mileage week of 57 miles. I'll take a much needed rest day on Saturday too. Sunday, I'll be camping and will run some of the marathon course.

11 miles - 1:49:38 (9:58 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment