Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Ladders at Night

I love challenging Tuesday speedwork sessions. Today was no different. I wanted to get up before work, but I thought I was too sore. It appears that I really wasn't though, as I felt good later in the morning. I headed out after work for a speedwork session.

The workout was ladder interval. After 2 miles easy, I ran 1 min, 2 min, 3 min, 2 min, 1 min, 2 min and 3 min. Each of those was followed by a recovery run period of equal time. Finally, the workout ended with 2 miles easy.

The first 2 miles are a great warm-up. I try to get faster as it goes on and I get closer to the speed intervals. The intervals are supposed to be from 3K-10K pace. I was definitely consistent in that area, from 5:52 pace to a 6:12 pace. I am really doing a good job of learning my pace at this point.

The first few intervals were great, as I headed to Falls Bridge. It was perfect weather and I was cruising along. I worked on keeping a nice and smooth form. I guess I did tense up a bit as my shoulder became sore. I tried to loosen up and shake my arms to get the tension out.

Time always flies by on these runs and before you know it, you are nearly to the halfway point or done. The first interval happened to be uphill, as did the interval at the foot of Falls Bridge. I turned around on the hill, just before the bridge. That uphill interval was hard work.

Coming back, the last few intervals took quite a bit of effort. I wasn't completely dead, but I did really have to push myself. It sure wasn't easy. I would've needed a longer recovery period to run another interval. The last 3 minute interval seemed like forever. It was a relief to finally be done.

The final two easy miles were very difficult. My calves and hip were quite sore. My hamstring bothered me a little too. Even though the miles were both under 8 minute pace, they seemed like forever. I guess that is what happens after running some intervals at a pace 2 minutes faster. I finished uphill to the Art Museum. I was thrilled to be done.

My body seems to really be struggling from the last few days. My hip hasn't been this sore in weeks. I used the foam roller, but I need to do more before bed. I need to get my hips, calves and hamstrings loosened up.

Tomorrow, I'm running 10 miles easy. I don't work until 4 PM. I'll probably head out Pennypack Park. I haven't run there in awhile. I need to rest a bit and recover before heading out to the run.

8.15 miles - 59:00 (7:14 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment