Thursday, March 25, 2010

Trail Recovery Run

As a recovery run, I headed out the door for a "easy" 6 mile trail run in Wissahickon. Of course a trail run is never quite too easy. I started off at Valley Green as usual.

The most difficult part is often the start. In this case, it was a very steep climb before things leveled off. I was winded and had just barely started running. After that though, the trail got pretty fast as I headed south. It is relatively flat and not very rocky for quite awhile.

Eventually, I hit a portion where I had to go downhill along a small stream and head back uphill again. It was the same path that I took two weeks ago. I would like to go the other direction sometime, but they are doing construction under the bridge.

After climbing some more, I sort of went the wrong way and lost the trail. I then backtracked, found it and ran some more ups and downs. Shortly after hitting three miles, I turned around. Getting back up the hill near the bridge was very tough.

I hit cruise control again following that. I passed some mountain bikers. I see quite a few of those during these trail runs, but rarely do I see runners. I then encountered the most difficult part of the run. Not only did the trail rise, but it was extremely rocky. It wasn't as steep as other sections, but the combination of elevation change and rocky terrain made it very tough. Add onto to that that I was entering the final mile of the run.

I was exhausted during this section and tripped and nearly fell on my face. Luckily, that hasn't really happened yet. It'll only be a matter of time though. Fatigue was definitely and factor as I was dragging my feet. I guess I have to learn to pick them up no matter how much I tire.

I finished up shortly after the near fall. The steep downhill finish was kind of interesting. Following the run, I went across Valley Green Road and ran 10 X 8 second hill sprints on the trail. That was quite challenging. I did find a section without too many rocks though.

As I was walking around before my run, I saw they have a 10K trail race in the park in early June. I have to take a closer look at it and see if it on the actual trail or Forbidden Drive itself. I want to run a race on the trails, but have no interest in running on the drive, although a mixture of the two could satisfy me.

This was a good run because it was a little exhausting, but didn't beat me up as much as the other trail runs. I got a decent workout, but at the same time, I was able to recover. My legs didn't take too much of a pounding. Tomorrow, is some interval work. I'm not sure if I'm heading to the track or sticking with the road yet.

6 miles - 53:37 (8:56 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment