Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Making a Strong Push

I'm really starting to make my push to qualify for Boston now. Today was an insanely tough workout. It consisted of running for 8 miles, easy for three minutes and then 30 seconds at 5K pace. That pattern repeated throughout the run. It ended up probably being close to 20 repeats.

Running fast for 30 seconds is tougher than you might think. I've adapted a little better to it since the first time I tried to run a Fartlek. That said, this run was still difficult. After a few reps and around 2.5 miles, I was wondering how in the world I would finish.

I was able to complete it by just focusing on the next interval. That makes the time and distance really fly by. Once I got to the turnaround point, just past Falls Bridge, I knew I'd make it. It seemed like I might've push it too much early on, but it turned out the pace was right.

I felt like I ran very consistent, even though it was tougher at the end. I had a side sticker that bothered me at times. The recovery intervals helped though. Just being so close to home got me through the last few intervals. I finished up exhausted and coughing. I was probably close to throwing up. Luckily, I only had a Clif Shot Blok before the run.

This run was so hard and also so rewarding when I finished. I got a bit emotional as I reflected afterward. I've always dreamed of being an athlete, but never actually put in the work. Now, I'm finally putting in the work and the results are starting. It is great to see how far I've come and wonder how far I'll go. I'm so passion right now and just enjoying the ride.

Tomorrow is an easy 6 mile recovery run with 10 hill sprints. I still think I'm going to make it a trail run. That won't make it too easy, but the effort will be easy. That'll be a good spot for hill sprints as well.

8 miles - 55:55 (6:59 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment