Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Speed Endurance Intervals

I had to work a couple extra hours today, so I couldn't run with the run club. It was a good thing, since the speed endurance intervals after work took a lot out of me. The 8.75 miles were a real challenge.

The weather was beautiful and it would've been great to get out and run in the afternoon. Instead, I ran at night. It was still nice and cool though. The workout called for 2 miles easy, 3 X 1 mile with 400 meter jogs in between and finally 3 miles easy.

Originally, I thought about heading to a track for the workout. I then realized that with my Garmin, I could keep tabs on the workout without running in circles. I headed out to Kelly Drive. I actually started with the Schuykill Banks loop.

The first mile was pretty easy and comfortable. A bit after that, a girl blew by me. I didn't want to run hard yet, so I let her go. I ended up passing a coworker, who was going for a walk. That "easy" mile actually went faster than it should've (7:03).

The third mile was where I really picked it up. The schedule called for 10K-5K pace. I went out in a blazing 6:41 mile. It actually wore me down quite a bit. I recovered though and ran pretty hard second and third segments as well.

My quads were very sore after the intervals and my right hip was hurting as well. Running a slow final three miles helped me recover better. I'm still quite sore though and I'm using the foam roller. It was definitely a taxing workout.

This speedy workout was definitely a good tuneup for this weekend's half marathon. I felt very fast and feel that I'm ready. I ran in my new shoes for the second time and that could be part of my soreness too. At least the IT band itself didn't start acting up.

Tomorrow is scheduled for an easy 10 miler. I'll probably hit the trails of Forbidden Drive though. If that's the case, it certainly won't be easy. Hopefully not as taxing as last week though. We shall see when I head out at mid morning.

8.75 miles - 1:04:59 (7:25 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment