Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Rabbit Is Too Fast

I'm still really learning out to pace the run club and run in a group. Today was my second time leading the pack. Again, we had a three person break away. I knew I was going fast, but definitely didn't realize just how fast.

The first two miles were a blazing 6:34 and 6:36 pace. That's pretty fast even for me. The guy that ran with me the other week realized that was too fast. Another guy from Puma ran with me for the first mile, but then he knew that would be too fast as well. I need to do a better job of running just ahead of them.

Because we were so far ahead, we ran another quarter mile out and back. For that segment, we stuck together. I need to keep that pace I guess.

On the way back, I did a better job of controlling the pace, but was still too fast. I need to run it more like it is an easy day. These guys were pretty good though, so they pushed me a little past that pace. They'd drop back a little, I'd slow down, they'd catch up, I'd pick the pace up again.

I tried to really blast down Walnut Street on the way back and get them to finish strong. The guy from Puma didn't quite have enough, but the other guy stayed fairly close (helped by the lights) and finished strong.

It was a good workout and I'm actually glad I didn't run this morning too. This pace is definitely hot and would make for a challenging second run of the day. I might do that in the future though.

Now we'll see how well I recover. I need to get up early and run in about 12 hours from now. Tomorrow isn't an easy day either. It is a speedwork day. My speed definitely need to get better too. My confidence is starting to shoot through the roof even more now after the good run on Sunday. I'm making great progress, although the climb all the way to the top is still steep.

4.91 miles - 35:18 (7:11 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment