Friday, March 26, 2010

NHS Track Workout

Like usual, I didn't get up to run this morning. This time, my Achilles was very sore. I wore my Vibram's running my shift at work on Thursday night and that led to the soreness. I guess I really have to be careful how much I wear them, especially now while I'm marathon training.

Instead of the morning run, I did a track workout when I got back to my parents house. I rushed home and hoped to get some it in before it got dark out. It was like for a few minutes, but got dark quickly.

The workout was a ladder workout, after 2 easy miles. It consisted of 1 min, 2 min, 3 min, 2 min, 1 min, 2 min, and 3 min, with equal duration recovery sessions in between. The pace for the fast intervals was from 3K-10K. The workout then concluded with 2 more easy miles.

I ran backwards on the first two easy miles. That seems kind of weird. I'm not sure if the track is designed a certain way that makes it harder to run in the opposite direction. I ran the correct direction on the intervals and recovery segments.

Early on in the interval portion, I kept a nice and steady pace. I was a bit faster through the shorter 1 minute segment. The run was tough because there was a head wind on the back stretch. That made each lap difficult. I just continued to focus from segment to segment. Breaking down the run like that made it more bearable.

I really hate speed, so that makes this time of workout a challenge. I also enjoy completing it so much. It is great to go out of your comfort zone. That's the only way I'll really improve in the long term.

It was dark by the time I finished my two easy miles. I had to keep lighting up my watch throughout the run, just so I could see. Not only was it windy, but very cold too. I didn't think I'd need to bring out the ColdGear again this year, but I did for this run.

My legs are quite sore after jumping up another 10 miles this week. Tomorrow is a much needed rest day. I might walk on some trails though. We are going to explore the Run for the Red Marathon course and probably Tobyhanna State Park as well. Sunday will be a long 18 miler. I have done a 17 mile run, but that was quite a few weeks now. We'll see how I handle it. I'm hoping to run on the flat canal path between Easton and Allentown.

8.30 miles - 58:41 (7:04 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment