Thursday, March 18, 2010

Happy Trails

Today was another joyous and challenging trail run. Again, I headed out to the Forbidden Drive trails. I actually went out there on Wednesday morning, but decided to switch my 10 mile day and rest day, to recover better.

This time, I started on the northwest side of Valley Green. I first ran briefly out and back on Forbidden Drive, for a short warm up. Then it was straight uphill. During yesterday's short hike, I followed one path. This time, I took an upper route. That eventually led me off the trail completely. Luckily, I was able to get through the woods to the other trail. It actually crosses Valley Green Road.

One thing that I've been doing is always taking the uppper path. Why take the easier route? That sure makes it fun. It is also very taxing on the body though. Early on, I ran through some sticker bushes. That was no fun and I developed a few small cuts. One started bleeding. Shortly after that, I hit another run and lost the trail. After running down the road a bit, I found another trail and got back onto the park.

As I hit three and a half miles, I was already very exhausted. I wondered how I'd ever finish the run. It was supposed to be easy. The pace certainly was, but the effort required to climb wasn't. I just kept battling though.

Eventually I wound up on Bells Mill Road. After crossing the road, I wound up running through the trails in the nature area. That was a blast too. The start was a brutal uphill climb, but after that, it was fun. The trails wound through some nice areas, including a meadow. The coolest thing was seeing two deer, not once but twice. During the both encounters, they ran a little, but then just watched me. I was probably only 10 to 15 yards away the second time. They just started at me.

After running through that area, I made my way back along the eastern side of Forbidden Drive. I started off on the lower portion near the creek. That area was full of wet spots. One particular section was very muddy. My entire shoe nearly sunk into the mud. That was fun. Shortly after that, I followed a trail up along a waterfall. I also came across an indian sculpture that was carved out of rock.

I was thrilled that I didn't see any horses on the trail. I'm still not really sure how to get by them. I did encountered two dogs. The first one seemed to have a lot of energy as it ran past me. The second one was actually pacing me for a short distance, until it got to its owner.

I could've turned and finished up at Valley Green. Instead, I continued on on the lower trail. That was very rocky with some step like features. I was lucky not to twist my ankle. Finally when I hit a huge rock, I just turned around. I finished with a very short out and back run on Forbidden Drive.

In this heat (near 60 degrees), I probably could've used some more to drink. I might have to try strapping the new Camelbak on. It'll be nice when the trees grow in and there is shade on the trail. Until then, it is hot. I did eat some Sport Jelly Beans that I picked up. I think they gave me some energy, but not sure. What I did like is that they are tasty. Towards the end of the run, they were hard to chew, but I could still suck on them. They lasted longer than a GU Gel would.

I'm definitely falling in love with trails. Every step and every run is different. There's a lot of beauty to see, even though most things are still dead from the winter. I can't wait to watch the trees grow in. I really love the high degree of difficulty involved in trail running too. It's more along the lines of challenges that I like. Marathons aren't easy, but I don't see them as that big of a deal. A 50 mile trail run on the other hand, is a real challenge. I haven't even signed up for a spring marathon, but I'm already tempted to sign up for a fall 50 miler.

Tomorrow is an easy 8 mile run. I work at 12, so I might just run along the river before work. That or perhaps I'll head to the Heinz Wildlife Refuge. I'll likely save that for sometime next week though.

10 miles - 1:43:44 (10:22 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment