Monday, June 8, 2009

Some Days You Don't Have It

Some days you just don't have it. That was definitely the case today. I planned a long run of 7 miles for today, but ending up running about 4 miles. It was only about 70 degrees at 9 AM, but the heat really got to me anyways.

I think it was the shirt that I wore that was the problem. It's a running shirt with holes in it that I thought were supposed to keep me cool. It seems like the material causes me to sweat much more than normal though. I was soaked and I had only run with minimal effort. They say not to try new things before a race and this was a good example. I don't think my body took well to the shirt and it would've been a disaster if this happened on a race day. I'm going to just stick with cotton T-shirts.

Early on, I felt really good. A few days off had me well rested. Maybe I did take off too long actually. As I got out to the gravel path, I noticed someone coming up behind me. I did pick it up slightly. I eventually got passed and it turned out to be a young girl. I was frustrated, especially because she didn't look like the elite runner type. I followed her for a little, but she stopped within 200 yards. That was a relief, knowing that she was likely just running a short distance.

While I pushed some more when the girl was coming up on me, I tried to stay at a steady pace because it was still early on. That might've worn me down slightly, but shouldn't have been too significant. I made it out to Hunting Park Avenue, although I was lumbering most of the way there and even had some side stitches.

Shortly after I turned around, I took my shirt off. That seemed to be a big help, but it was still too late. I was already tired and worn down. That is when I figured out the shirt might be a problem. Coming back, there was an ambulance and an injured rollerblader. That's always a scary sight to see. I'm not sure if he crashed with a bike or what. Luckily, I didn't pass him earlier in my run or that might've left a stronger impression too.

I spent a lot of time on the gravel, but there was some extra time on the pavement as I pushed farther in this one. The gravel is definitely a big help to my knee. By the time I hit the second portion of gravel, my knee was acting up. After about a mile, I just decided to quit.

Listening to my body during runs and training has been an area where I've really matured. In the past, I felt the need to finish every training run that I had planned for, regardless of how I felt. It was pretty clearly that a lot of today was a waste. I could've come home at a slow pace and finished the 7 mile run. I just didn't have it though and there was no point in forcing myself through the final 2 or 2.5 miles.

I'll save some energy and come back strong the rest of the week. You can't let days like this discourage you too much either. Just learn from it, then put it behind you and keep on going. I've really grown when it comes to understanding running better.

I'm not sure what the rest of the week will look like. I'm definitely getting in a speedwork session either on Wednesday or Thursday. It all depends on whether my friend Bill is going to do it with me or not. If we run together, it'll be Wednesday. If we don't, I'll go on my own on Thursday. That'll dictate my schedule for the remainder of the week too (as will the fact that I have a flat tire on my bike). I want to run short, but hard when I get out the rest of the week. Next week, I'll really taper and take it easy before the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment