Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Off Track

Today was a rough track workout. My legs had nothing after two grueling days and I struggled to even finish the workout.

Bill and I ran six 400 meter repeats. For the first few, I was good for the first half of the lap, but then my legs just fell apart. I actually led Bill through the first two, but I knew I was slowing him up so I told him to take the lead on the last couple.

I've never had such a bad workout in my life. My legs were just totally gone. I wasn't even able to push myself hard at all from a cardio standpoint. After the first three laps, I went to the bathroom and ran better in the 4th and 5th laps. At the end of the 5th, I had a lot left and actually sprinted right up to Bill at the finish. Early on in the 6th and final one, I knew I had nothing, so I didn't bother to push it at all. I just ended up jogging around. I should've at least gave a little more effort.

I've become accustomed to soft all weather tracks. We ran on gravel and I think that bothered my legs some at faster speeds. We ran pretty early in the morning too, so I'm not sure that I had the energy needed for this workout. That said, those factors still weren't enough to make me crash as bad as I did. I really think I overworked myself the last few days.

It's ashame too because Bill ran a really nice pace and we should've been able to push each other really well. I just had nothing on this day. I ran better on my 2nd day of track practice ever (which was my 1st track workout). Hopefully I'll get out and run more with Bill in the future. He's built himself up to a nice level.

Tomorrow was planned as an off day and will continue so. I'd love to do a long run on Friday, but I think I really need to start tapering after today's poor performance. Friday will be easy as will next week's runs. Today was disappointing, but it's a good way to keep myself in check and not overdue things.

No comments:

Post a Comment