Friday, June 12, 2009

Adding Lemon Hill

Today was actually an "easy day." I tried to run at a slower pace and didn't run very far. That said, mentally I actually find easy days to be harder sometimes. It feels like I'm going so slow and getting nowhere.

The run was an interesting one. I decided to try a new route and went up Lemon Hill. I had never actually ventured up there to run, just to watch the bike race. It's directly across from boathouse row and is actually a perfect little add on that I'll have to use more often.

It's short, but steep and curvy. I thought about doing the loop twice, but decided not to push it. Once up and down the hills got my legs working some. I'm definitely going to bring it into the beginning or end of my workouts now.

After going through Lemon Hill, I continued on Kelly Drive to the train bridge just past Girard Avenue before turning around. On the way back, I didn't want to deal with any hills so I only ran to Lloyd Hall. It was a nice short and slow run, but I still got some benefit out of it.

I bought a new running outfit yesterday and wanted to break it in before next week's race. I bought short shorts and a tank top similar to my old track uniform. It's funny how I used to hate the uniform so much, but now I'm buying something just like it. I did feel a little uncomfortable walking in it through the off campus student housing and ghetto like area around me. It didn't seem as bad as the shirt I wore on Monday, but I was still surprisingly soaked after the workout. Not sure if that was the result of the weather or the clothes.

I've actually been getting pretty lucky with the weather. This was the second time this week that I was able to run in the morning just after one set of showers had passed and before the second set began. It was partly sunny and actually surprisingly humid considering that rain had just come through. Hopefully the race next Saturday will have similar weather. I can certainly deal with those conditions.

The next two days are off days as I'll be going to NY. I thought about trying to run on Sunday, but I figure the extra rest can't hurt. I'm going to run easy, short routes on Monday and Wednesday and thus give myself two days off before the race on Saturday. I should be well rested for that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment