Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Great 5K Prep

Yesterday was a big disappointment, but today's run was a huge success. I didn't realize that yesterday I had actually run 5 miles. That made me sore today and I figured on taking things easy.

I still did take it easy in terms of mileage, but I ran hard. I used the route from Lloyd Hall to the Schuykill Banks loop. This loop is a great addition to Fairmount Park. It's 2.8 miles in length, but also has a couple nice short hills.

I planned on relaxing and cruising after a tough day yesterday and a track workout coming up tomorrow. It didn't quite work out that way though. I felt pretty good early on. I then came across a runner up ahead that was running a perfect pace. He was slower than me, but not too slow. I didn't push too much more to catch him, but it's tough not to go harder.

I caught up and passed him and then pulled away from him. It took a few minutes, but it was good to pick up my pace a little. I didn't want to run so hard, but this turned out to be good prep for the upcoming 5K. It's the hardest I've run at a shorter distance to date.

When I woke up early in the morning, there was some loud thunder so I slept another hour before getting up to run. The storm was over quick, but it left everything cool and cloudy. That made for perfect weather to run well.

On the way back, I caught up to a couple slower runners. That was a big help in pushing myself too. The uphill portion at the end wasn't too difficult and the small hill under the Spring Garden Street Bridge isn't as steep as I thought it was.

Hopefully this hard run after yesterday's run doesn't bother me too much. I'll be running a 6 X 400 on the track with Bill early tomorrow morning. After that, I'll take Thursday off. Friday will probably another short run before taking Saturday and Sunday off. Next week, I will cut back and take it easy before the 5K on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment