Saturday, July 18, 2015

Stupid Humid

I wanted to go to Tammany this morning.  A massive thunderstorm rolled in when I was going to get up for that.  Therefore, I passed on it and slept some more.  By then, it was too late, so I headed to Trexler.

I got there later than I wanted to, after lunchtime.  I knew it was going to be crazy hot and humid.  I figured that this would be a good way to test my adapting out.  Of course I went shirtless.  I was drenched and struggling all throughout this run.  Even getting some creek water didn't help much. 

I always struggle here with water.  If I take more than a handheld, then I have to wear more clothing and equipment.  My handheld is really only good for about half the loop though.  I definitely had to do the shorter loop in these conditions.

I started off from the Environmental Center.  I knew to take it nice and easy.  I cruised along the new Border Trail.  I walked up the new hill.  I wanted to be very careful.  I ran again and then even walked up the hill by the bison.  I almost never do that.  It was exposed and hot though.

For awhile, I didn't see any course markings for Quadzilla.  Then, they were everywhere.  Those guys make the course easy to follow.  I was surprised to see the grass isn't shorter the day before the race.  It is okay, but usually it is outstanding.

I ran along the early flats and downhills.  I knew I'd hike quite a bit of the long uphill.  I did that.  As usual, the dogs were barking.  Again, I was trying to be super conservative here.  I was feeling it already though.

As I started through the grass, a mountain biker was on the side, on his phone.  He would later pass me on a downhill.  Some people were having a party in their yard.  That looked like more fun than this run.

I was looking forward to getting out of the exposed sun.  I was glad to do that, but then the hills came.  My legs had nothing.  I don't know if they were dead, the heat was sapping all of my strength or lugging around my heavier shoes was an issue.  I found a way to lace my Altras differently so that I wouldn't have too much pressure on my feet.  Only issue was they were still too loose and sliding around some.  I do love the cushion of them though.

Even hiking up the false hills was tough.  I was dragging and I wasn't much past mile 3.  I pushed on though.  The big hill nearly killed me, especially where it was exposed.  I wanted to stop and rest.  I continued on, focused on making it to the creek.

The second decent hill was a struggle.  I was so thrilled to make it to the creek.  The crossing was interesting.  Not only was it high, but it wasn't clear.  I carefully moved across the rocks.  I wanted to enjoy the water anyway.  I dipped my Buff in the water and poured it over my head.  That helped, but it didn't last long.

I had seen the mountain biker stop, but never did see him again.  I walked the uphill toward the zoo.  Two people were hiking and one was smoking.  I came out to the open field.  As I was going up the grass, I saw Aaron (and his son) and Mel marking the course.  I figured I might see them somewhere.  We chatted briefly and I was on my way.  I saw a runner and dog coming down the hill.

I walked a lot of the grass.  I wanted to get back into the shade.  I was so destroyed already though.  It was hard to even get back to running.  I did run when it was flat.

This part I was in is one of the easiest parts.  However, I couldn't really run even the slight uphills any more, without overworking myself.  I hiked a lot.  Getting myself to run was a big challenge.

I crossed the road and dipped my Buff in the small stream.  I hiked up hill after that.  I ran when it flattened out.  I wanted to put my Buff in the big creek, but it was too muddy.

The normal muddy section after the bridge was very muddy.  I crawled my way up the long hill and headed to the jeep road.  I struggled to even run much of this mostly smooth and flat road.

I knew the rolling hills would be tough.  Normally, they are runnable.  However, they are exposed and it is a gradual climb.  I ran some, but mostly hiked.  I crossed the road and struggled along some more.  It was more uphill and I mostly hiked again.

I finished the loop right by the Environmental Center.  I was so hot that I needed a drink from the building water fountain.  I stood in the shade for a bit.  I then sat in the car with the A/C on for a long time.

I've adapted to the low to mid 80s, but the 90s will always kill me.  I nearly did the 11 mile loop in better weather in the same time as it took me for the 9 miles today.  I was over 40 minutes slower than my PR here.

Tomorrow is Quadzilla.  I will be watching it.  I have Escarpment next weekend, so I'll be resting a lot this week.  I have to make a shoe choice, so I might test my Altras out once or twice this week.  That is probably about it though.

9 miles - 1:56:50 (12:59 pace) 1604 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment