Tuesday, July 7, 2015

First Port Clinton Repeats

I didn't run yesterday.  I was about to go out in the evening and a storm blew through.  It would've been dark when I headed out, so I opted to pass on a run and make it my only rest day of the week.  I had a tough day planned today anyway.

Last year, I saw Jim Blandford was leading weekly hill repeats at Port Clinton.  Actually, they are more like mountain repeats on the AT.  I wanted to get there last year, but didn't make it.  I finally was able to make the trip today.

Of course I pick just about the worst summer conditions to do it in.  It was crazy humid and the temperature was in the mid to upper 80s.  Definitely not my kind of weather.  After a rough start, I surprisingly survived.

Jim said he was going to get there early.  I parked in the lot and began to hike my water over to the trail.  I wasn't quite sure where we'd leave water.  The Schuylkill River Trail runs up a short bit from the start.  I was hoping we'd leave stuff there and skip the rock steps at the bottom, but we didn't.

Somehow I lost everyone as I went back to the car looking for them.  They took a different route that I was unaware of.  I was now behind, as they all had started. 

I didn't quite recall this trail from the winter, but I knew it would basically be a hike up and a run down.  I went up the steps.  I then headed up the real part of the AT.  It was a complete slap in the face.  Forget running it, it was even hard to hike up.  I'd have to guess that the beginning is about a 30% grade.  The humidity was only making it worse.  I struggled and was sweating a ton early.

We were only going up half a mile, but this seemed to go on and on forever, as I hiked.  Jim and a few of the others were heading down as I was going up.  I asked this guy Mike where the turnaround was and he told me two logs that are together on the trail.  There were more stone steps to climb up and that made for some tough hiking.

Near the top, I got a boost.  I saw two people hiking ahead of me.  At least I was catching someone.  It flattened out a little near the top, but really wasn't worth trying to run, so I just hiked.  I did run the last little bit when I saw the two logs and and the two people in front of me resting and drinking.

I wasn't sure how long they'd stay there.  They ended up leaving not long after me.  I was now descending.  The beginning wasn't bad, as it wasn't too steep.  Still, I had to be cautious.  There were some rocks and it was wet.  I knew I could fall at any moment if I didn't pay attention.

The woman, Brooke was behind me.  I could hear her coming, but I knew there weren't good places to pass.  She then faded back.  I found out later that she took a bathroom break.  The steep section at the bottom was interesting.  I was able to run it, but was very cautious.  It must be fun if you can really hammer it.

I got to the bottom and had a drink.  Brooke came down a little later and we chatted briefly.  We headed out together, but I was hiking much faster.  I pulled away from her.  My legs were getting beat up with this decent hiking pace.  I was glad to get to the top of this beast again.

I thought I might've missed the logs, since I was alone now.  However, I found them.  People left water at the top, but I didn't.  I'll have to do this next time.

I headed down again.  I was still cautious.  I saw all the others coming up.  Everyone was encouraging and Jim was giving high fives. 

I felt good going down on loop 2, but I was in for a shock at the bottom.  I felt like I was really overheating and beat.  I originally wanted 5 repeats, but now I wasn't sure if I could do more than 3.  I was definitely going up for a 3rd one regardless.

I took some extra time at the bottom to cool off.  Brooke came down and I let her lead this time.  We had a great time chatting and it made the climb more manageable.  Her pace was better for me and much easier.  It allowed me to conserve energy on the ascent.  It still seemed like a big climb, but at least I wasn't hurting too bad.

We ran down together.  This time, I took the lead descending.  I had a rock in the front of my shoe and that became rather annoying.  I ran on though.  I was just happy to not fall.

I felt much, much better after repeat #3 than I had #2.  It was clear that I'd be heading up for a 4th one.  Brooke led the way again.  This was definitely her last one.  I was unsure.

Again, the slower pace and company was a huge help.  Although the climb still wasn't easy, it actually seemed like it was getting easier.  I almost started to enjoy going up.  I felt better too.  Either it was less humid now or I was adapting better.

I led us down on this one as well.  It was a nice and easy cruise.  The legs were beginning to feel it slightly.  When I got done with this one, I felt fine.  I had to go for a 5th one.

Jim was at the bottom this time.  He had already done a bunch of repeats before I even got there.  He went up with me.  Although he can go faster, he went my pace and we chatted.  I picked his brain on some stuff on this repeat.

When we got to the top, I let him lead down.  I know he's faster.  He was in no hurry though, so I ran behind him.  I wasn't expecting company for this loop, so that was great.  Everyone else had finished up as I was ascending this time.

The quads began to feel it a little on this 5th one.  I stumbled slightly here and there too.  I made it down with no problems though.  I could've probably done another one, but I didn't want to push it any more.  I also drank most of my water.

It was a productive day.  I set out to do what I wanted to do.  I got some more great elevation (over 3,000 feet of gain).  I met some new people and had some good company.  I also battled the heat and humidity and won.  I just wish this was closer, so I could do it more often.  I'll have to get back there at least once more before this summer is up.

With only 2 runs so far this week, I've already put up some crazy gains.  I'm over 8,000 feet for the week.  I might get more gain tomorrow or I may just pick something easier.  Perhaps I'll do a section of the AT or maybe I'll try the longer Trexler loop.  I'll decide depending on how I feel.  I doubt I'll be sore, as I feel good now.

6.85 miles - 2:11:22 (19:11 pace)  3338 feet of elevation gain
5 repeats (mileage and pace not quite accurate)

No comments:

Post a Comment