Friday, July 10, 2015

Bushwhack Run/Hike

I spent most of the day shopping with the family.  I was just going to do something easy later on.  I didn't get started until almost 7 PM, so I had to go close by.  I went over to Phillipsburg to run the Warren-Highlands Trail.

It wasn't as humid today, but the temperature was still warm.  I went shirtless and almost regretted that.  I didn't feel bad, but I went through tickland.

I went to the trail by the parking area and as I suspected, it was high grass.  Luckily, I knew you could go down the road and get on a better section.  I did that and headed on the trail.

This is a great section of singletrack.  It is a beautiful little climb up on a ridge.  It is only about 200 feet up, but it is tough.  I don't know why, but I always struggle there.  I did run the whole way up it, but I was huffing and puffing.

After the climb, there is another beautiful section.  Then, it splits off with the yellow trail.  I stayed on the trail I was on.  This was a mistake.  It was overgrown in no time.

It was next to impossible to run after a short distance.  I just hiked.  I could still find the trail, but I was nearly bushwhacking.  I guess no one had been there to do any trail maintenance all summer.  It's bad, since it could be a great place.

I was cursing over and over as I went through this.  I figured it was less than a mile though, so I didn't want to turn around.  Some branches were down at one point.  I was wondering if this was from deer or another hiker.  I almost felt like my last trip there, in the winter, was the last time anyone went through this section.  I may have to think about clearing the trail myself in the future.

I thought I'd come out to a wider trail sooner than I did.  I finally got there though.  This had some high grass too.  I continued to follow the trail out through the farm fields.  At this point, I was simply looking for a road to get back on.  I didn't want to go back through the trail.

The section was cut fairly well through part of a farm field, but was very high near the road.  I had no desire to go through there.  I started to follow the farm road, but I was on private property then, so I turned around.

As I headed back, I heard a dog in the field.  I thought, "great, just what I need a potentially aggressive dog."  Luckily, it just barked and didn't chase me.  I now wasn't quite sure what to do.

I headed back toward the trail.  I remembered taking a wrong turn in the fall and ending up on a woods road that came to another farm.  I knew this wasn't far from the road, so I thought maybe I'd run through their land briefly to get to the road.

There was higher grass here too, but I had to go, as it was still the best option.  I was disappointed to see super high grass around the farm field.  I tried to follow a storm water trail earlier, but it didn't work.

At this point, I wasn't too high up from the road.  Worst case, I had to figure out how to bushwhack.  Lucky for me, I did spot some kind of slightly overgrown path.  This went down to the road.  It was actually in better shape than the marked trail, although it still sucked.

I hate roads, but I've never been so happy to find one.  It was getting close to dark.  I was also grateful that I knew the roads I was going on and they were lightly traveled.  I did have to watch though, because there are some blind curves.  I made it back okay though.

I washed off very good and checked for ticks when I got home.  I hope that was enough.  If I don't have any of those and no poison ivy, then I'll be very happy.

Tomorrow, it is back to a more normal run.  I'm heading to Tammany for more loops.  I'd love to hit 5 or even 6.  It may be tough, as I'm probably running on my own.  Mentally, that becomes challenging.  It is a good challenge for sure though.

5.19 miles - 1:09:37 (13:25 pace) 759 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment