Wednesday, July 1, 2015

A Green AT @ 191

Today, I was looking for some miles.  I also wanted to mix in a little technical running and a little elevation.  I didn't want too much of either though.  I decided to head to Route 191 and run the AT.  It starts at the top of the mountain there.

It wasn't too hot when I started in the evening.  I wore a singlet, but probably could've been shirtless.  There was some wind in open areas, but not much on the trail.  I was sweating a bit by the end of the run.

I started off heading Northbound.  The trail was amazing.  It is a fun, flowing singletrack along the ridge.  What really surprised me is how green everything was.  Last time I ran there, it was snow covered.  It has been awhile.  I don't even think I ever ran there while it was actually green.

The beauty made the run easy to enjoy, but the technical nature of the trail made it slow.  I got out to the cool view within the first mile, after passing a hiker with small kids.  At the view, a few thru hikers had setup tents.  That was neat.

I went back along on the rolling terrain.  Originally, I was thinking about going out 2 miles and back in each direction, to get 8 total miles.  However, I enjoyed this section so much that I figured I'd go farther.  I felt pretty good too.  Then, around 2.5 miles, I began to get tired.  I was mostly running, but there were some technical parts that slowed me to a hike.  Totts Gap was a good place to make it to.

I figured I had to at least go out 3 miles this direction.  Then, I'd have 6 miles already when I got back to the car.  I hit mile 3 right at the woods road.  Although I didn't really have enough water to go another mile out and back, I figured why not.  It would be easier running.

This part is boring, but faster.  There were some big puddles.  I went around one of them because I knew hikers had made a path.  The grass was slightly high, but not too bad.  I ran in tire tracks when I could.  I passed some hiker that was resting or snacking.  He seemed weird and wasn't very friendly when I said "hi."

I was kind of hoping I'd make it to the Mt. Minsi summit by mile 4, but I didn't.  I turned around at mile 4 and headed back.  The sun would be in my eyes going this way.  Luckily, it was setting.

I really enjoyed how the trail went from the top of the mountain to a ridge along the side.  Small ups and downs.  I ran most of it.  I did tire some as I approached mile 6.  I was moving faster now.  Maybe that was due to the faster section earlier.  It was also cooling and I think that helped.

Some of the technical parts are neat.  Running like this are fascinating to me.  I don't take any calories, so I hit some low points and yet I seem to bounce back.  That really happened at mile 6.75.  I don't know what compelled me to pick it up, but I did.  I got very focused and started flying over some very technical terrain.

That lasted for most of the rest of the run.  I took a brief water break on the short uphill by the open view.  The hikers were out talking and I waved to them.  Then, I blasted on down the trail.  I was making great time now.

This got nice and smooth around here too.  I could really push and have fun.  Closer to the very end, it got technical again and I had to be a little more cautious.  Right at the end, I came across a young couple hiking out.  It was nearly dark, so maybe they were going to the view to watch the sunset.  I don't know, but if so, they had to share it with the hikers.

I finished up right at the AT sign at the road crossing.  I was very pleased with this run and thoroughly enjoyed this section.  I wish this was closer, so that I could run it more often.  I should at least get up there monthly, on semi easy days.

Tomorrow, I'm looking to run some hills.  I asked Destrie if she wants to run any repeats down her way.  If not, I'm going to do them at Wind Gap.  I'm thinking 5 repeats there would be great.

8.01 miles - 1:45:59 (13:14 pace) 610 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment