Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Hot and Humid Short J-burg Run

It was another brutally hot and humid day today.  I opted for an evening run again.  This would be tough though, as I ate at Buffalo Wild Wings beforehand.  I had about an hour rest, before heading out to Jacobsburg.  I have not been there in a long time.  I was just looking to do the standard 10K loop.

I assume it was still in the 90s or near the 90s when I started before 7 PM.  At least the sun was starting to set.  I went shirtless and knew I had to take it easy.  I never felt too bad, so I guess I'm adapting okay to the heat finally. 

I knew I had to go nice and slow, not just due to the heat, but the full stomach too.  I got into a nice groove.  The early hills seemed super easy.  There were a few people out walking the main path.  Then, I was quickly on to the singletrack by myself.

I went steady uphill.  I got to the one powerline and noticed all the trees were gone.  I heard PP&L did this.  I saw a deer there and for some reason it ran away, even though I was nowhere near it and not going near it.

I felt okay, as I approached mile 2.  A lot of the rocks seemed wet.  I guess perhaps it rained earlier in the day.  I'm not sure.  I continued my uneventful cruise along, over the multiple road crossings.

It was smooth, so my pace was solid.  Really, I figured I'd just be happy with a sub 10 minute pace.  It looked like I'd be well under that too.  There were quite a few mountain bikers out.  I saw one near the creek.

I then began to head up the powerline.  This was slow and steady.  Some mountain bikers were walking their bikes up it.  I passed them and was surprised that they didn't pass me back on the downhill.  I knew I just needed to get up this hill, because it was much easier after that.

I saw more mountain bikers near the crest of the hill.  I was thrilled when I finally reached the top.  I then opened it up and little and head down.  My pace increased of course and it looked like I was now well under 9:30 pace too.

The rest of the run was flat and easy.  I saw a dog walker.  I then got onto the road.  After that, it was through the other part of the powerline.  This section was cleared too and now it looks really ugly.

I came back through the woods.  Then, it was on to the parking lot.  I finished up just past my car.  I knew I was under a 9:15 pace, so I was very happy with that.

This was a good day to take it easy and do something different.  Tomorrow, it is back to climbing.  I'm hoping to do some Wind Gap AT stuff.  Either a couple out and backs or hill repeats.  Then, I'll rest up before my 45K on Saturday.

6.19 miles - 57:00 (9:12 pace) 402 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment