Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Recovery Tammany Double Loops

Although my feet were sore after the Escarpment Trail Run, I felt pretty good on Monday.  I recovered well.  My feet are really my only issue these days.  I thought about running the next day, to push my body.  Instead, I decided to rest.

I wasn't looking forward to today's run.  It was super hot and humid.  If it didn't reach the 90s, it was close.  I ran shirtless of course.  I went in the evening, so although it was hot, it didn't bother me too much.

I went to Tammany with the goal of running two loops.  As I was waiting for my GPS to find a signal, the guy parked next to me, said "race you to the top."  I was confused because he was wearing hiking boots and hiking clothes.  He sure didn't look like a runner.  He had a couple minutes head start.

I ran the usual parts early and starting hiking the steep stuff.  I couldn't afford to push much.  I felt pretty good, as I climbed.  I could see the guy up ahead.  He had told me his name was Jeremiah. 

Somewhere near the first overlook, I caught him.  We hiked and ran together, chatting a bit.  He comes up here a bit too, but clearly not as much as I.  At the boulders, he took a different route up.  I climbed fast as usual and pulled way ahead.  I never saw him again during the run.

It was good to get to the top, but I didn't waste much time.  I ran some of the ridge part of the Blue Trail and hiked other parts.  I made the turn and was hiking the flat rocky part.  I decided to look into the bushes and about 50 yards away, I saw a bear.  I guess they are more frequent at night.  That far away is how I'd like to see a bear.

I ran on down the technical stuff after that.  The sun was setting and I was getting some glare in my eyes.  It made running this junk quite difficult and slow.  There were some hikers out at this time, but not too many.  There was what looked like a Jewish group of some sort.

I pushed slightly when I got to the more runnable part at the bottom.  I cruised down the AT.  I made it back to my car at just under 56 minutes.  Jeremiah was pulling out and we chatted briefly.

I didn't waste much time toweling off or refilling water.  I had not used all my water for the first loop, but I didn't bring enough water for myself either.  I really only had about half a handheld now.

I was a bit hot, so I knew this second loop would be much more hiking.  I began to climb the technical stuff and realized that my legs were super sore.  I'm not sure if it was the heat or not quite enough recovery or maybe both.  I knew this was going to be a tough climb, but also a good test on tired legs.

It was mostly just a hike up.  I wasn't anywhere near as fast, but I still gained on a hiker.  I just kept pushing on and on.  Knowing this route so well is both a blessing and a curse.  Once I make it past the boulders, I know a lot of the climb is done.

I was careful around the top, in case the bears were around.  I saw some hikers being quiet and looking into the woods.  I think maybe they saw a bear, but I didn't bother to ask.  I just wanted to get to the view.

The view had a beautiful sunset.  I stopped briefly.  I again ran some of the ridge Blue Trail section.  I was so beat now though and basically out of water.

The bear was nowhere in sight on the Blue Trail this time.  One of the nice things now was the sun went behind the mountain in spots.  I could run a little more.  Still, I was tired and my shoes seemed loose.  My feet were slipping and sliding all around.

I didn't think I'd make it under 2 hours with how beat I was, but as I was in the middle of the descent, I realized that it was very likely.  I cruised on down, running fast where I could.  Not my best running here, but it would do.

Before I knew it, I was to the waterfalls.  A dog barked at me there, but at least didn't chase me.  I ran back on the AT and really pushed.  I knew I'd be under 2 hours now and I was happy to do so, as I finished at my car.

I soaked my Buff in the creek and cooled off a bit.  It was a challenging run, given the conditions, but I managed.  As long as I don't run the whole time, I'm able to do okay in the heat.  I guess I'm adapting some.  I'm still slow, but better than I was.

Maybe I'll finally get myself to take it is easy tomorrow.  It will be even hotter.  I should probably just crank out some Jacobsburg miles for once.  It has been awhile since I've been there.

7.31 miles - 1:58:32 (16:12 pace) 2373 feet of elevation gain
Mt. Tammany Summits 32 and 33 of 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment