Monday, September 1, 2014

Super Humid Climb and Humid Evening Run Too

This weather is really getting annoying.  After a terrible run on Saturday, I was hoping to bounce back with a long run yesterday.  However, it was super hot and humid.  Today, I think was even worse.  I used yesterday as my off day, since I was so frustrated.  That meant I had to run today.

In the morning, I took photos for the Saucon Rail Trail 10K.  That meant an afternoon run.  Foolish me thought that maybe a Lehigh Gap run would be a good idea.  There was potential for rain and I guess I was hoping the clouds would hang around.

Of course I ran shirtless.  I started before 2 PM.  I was drenched and probably not too far from heat exhaustion either when I was done.  It was crazy hot and humid.

I was hoping that I could make this a long run and maybe get in 15 miles.  I knew that was wishful thinking though.  That was too bad because I do want to climb each side of the gap at some point.

I started off going easy up the short climb to the LNE.  I was breathing a little heavy, but I attributed that to not being warmed up.  I passed a few hikers.  I couldn't believe some of the people hiking on this day.  They were out of shape.

I enjoyed the flat part of the LNE, once I got there.  Then, the climbing began.  I tried to take it slow.  That became a little tough for some of the parts were so rocky.  I steadily ascended though.

I was able to make it up the Prairie Grass Trail without walking.  I was quite proud of that.  A couple years back, I couldn't even get close to that far with Kelley in the heat.  My progress has been great.

I was already several hundred feet up.  Then, I went on to the Charcoal Trail.  This part was much, much tougher.  It got very rocky.  At times, it is almost impossible to run up the rocks.  They are jagged and often loose.  I never actually have made it running up the whole time.  Maybe I can pull that off in the fall.

I'm not sure if my breathing got labored first or the steep scramble over rocks did me in, but eventually I began hiking.  I hiked until I could recover or there weren't as many rocks, but that was often.

I'd then run and not too much longer, I'd be walking again.  It was back and forth.  Some sections had shade, but that didn't matter much, as they were often super rocky.  It was slow go and quite the struggle.  Eventually, I at least made it into the trees completely.

I was still climbing though.  I wanted to do the Blue Trail, but I was so beat at this point.  I didn't want to run on an exposed, super hot ridge.  Even with it being relatively flat, I knew it could still be a problem.

Once I got into the trees, it didn't get much better.  The trail was partly overgrown.  It was hard to even see the rocks that you were running on.  I was able to run, but had to take it easy.  I ended up passing a couple that was hiking the other way. 

It was nice to start descending, but even then, things weren't easy.  The trail was still slightly overgrown.  I figured I would just have to battle it.  I was surprised because this part leads to the Devil's Pulpit.  I figured that a lot of hikers would come through there.

The trail did open up a little as I got farther down.  I was able to fly somewhat.  It was a little more fun.  It wasn't too rocky either.  Then, I got to the AT.

I had recovered on the downhills and wasn't feeling too bad at this point.  Therefore, I decided to add a little more climbing.  I'd headed up the AT.  I'd climb for as long as I could manage.  If it got too steep or I got too hot, I'd turn around.

I passed two hikers coming down.  I thought I might have to stop right after them, as it was getting steep.  However, it leveled off just in time.  I was able to go up a few more times and do some ridge running too.  It wasn't too bad on this section because it wasn't too rocky.

Eventually, I had had enough and turned around.  Now, it was time to cruise downhill.  I was a little over 3 miles into the run.  I descended rather quickly on this way back.  That is until I got back to the Blue Trail intersection.  Then, it got rocky.

I passed the couple as they were resting at the shelter.  The guy commented how impressed he was that I was running up the trail and I said that it was a little stupid of me today.  I managed though.

I'm always amazed that I never trip on this part below the shelter.  It is super steep and rocky.  The rocks are huge and sticking up.  I'm usually running at a decent pace.  The other trail was overgrown and I needed mileage, so I stayed on the AT.

When I came out to Route 896, I crossed it and ran along the road.  Then, I went back down to the D&L.  I was approaching mile 5.  I wanted to run to mile 6, but I was still too hot and exhausted.  I didn't want to risk it on a simple easy mile.

Although I didn't put in the miles that I wanted, it was still a quality climbing day.  I should be happy with that.  When the weather gets better, I'll be able to do more at Lehigh Gap.

Since it bugs me to only do 5 miles of climbing, I headed out for an easy pavement run after dinner.  My dad went along for a walk.  We went to Penn Pump Park.

It was still humid, but felt much cooler with the setting sun.  That is, it felt that way for awhile anyway.  It wasn't long before I was soaked.

I headed out toward Tatamy.  I was figuring on going out 1.5 to 1.75 miles one way and finishing up in the other direction.  As I started off, another guy had turned around.  I was now chasing him.  He seemed to be moving pretty well. 

I slowly reeled the guy in.  I didn't try to go faster, but was probably quicker than I would've been otherwise.  Within the first mile, I did catch and pass him.  That was an 8:12 mile.

I tried not to push too much, but the legs sure felt awesome.  I was cruising along.  I began sweating a lot.  I was breathing slightly heavy.  A lot of people were out walking on this holiday.

At 1.5 miles, I decided to continue on.  At 1.75 miles, I still kept going.  I figured that while I was feeling good, I might as well keep going.  Finally, I turned around before the road crossing into Tatamy.  That was at 2 miles.  That 2nd mile was run at 7:46.

There was a friendly woman that I had passed earlier.  I never did catch up to her.  Another young guy was running the other way.  I didn't see the quick guy for some time.  I can't believe that he would've stopped or slowed that much.

It seemed to take awhile to get through each mile.  The heat was really starting to bother me.  I continued on though.  I was happy to make it to mile 3 with a 7:30 mile and then 3.5 miles.

Eventually, I got back to Penn Pump Park.  I passed my dad walking the other way and let him know that I had a mile to go yet.  Mile 4 was a 7:15.

I stayed focused and before long, I was out .6 miles on this part.  I wanted to go out farther and walk a little.  I turned around right before the next road crossing.  I may have pushed a little.  I finished up right after the pedestrian bridge, with a 7:32 mile.

Both of these runs were tough.  I was even super soaked after the second run as well.  I can't wait for summer to finally end and then I can get some quality running done.  At least the calendar says September.

Tomorrow, I'm super busy.  Therefore, I might not run until night.  That may be good too, since it is supposed to be even worse tomorrow.  I'd like to run 2 night loops at Trexler.  That could be fun, although maybe a little weird on my own.  I'll give it a shot though.

Lehigh Gap Run 5 miles - 1:00:40 (12:08 pace)
Pavement Run 5 miles - 38:15 (7:39 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment