Friday, September 12, 2014

Bear Creek LVRR Group Run

I originally planned to run a tempo run on roads to get ready for the Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon next weekend.  However, I just had no desire to run hard or on roads.  Instead, I took a nap in the afternoon.

There was a LVRR Group Run at 5 PM at Bear Creek.  I thought about going earlier to do 2 loops, but I elected not to.  I have a big weekend coming up, so one loop would be enough.

Lisa and her husband Brian set it up.  Jerry was also there with his dog Boone.  I had run with a few of the other ladies once or twice too.  There was an older guy as well.  I'm not good with names.

It was a nice weather evening.  Being in the woods helped too.  However, I still was soaked by the end.  Part of the reason for that was that I wore a singlet, instead of running shirtless.  My nipples are now sore, so I think I need to keep running shirtless for a bit longer.

We took a group photo and then headed out for the run.  The women suggested that we lead.  I was kind of hoping that they would and then I'd gradually pass them.  Instead, I was out front and flying.

I kind of don't like to lead because then I often run too hard.  The bottom section is fun and quite technical.  It is rocky, but there are plenty of good spots to place your feet as well.  However, not too long into the run, I landed funny and twisted my ankle.  It was quite a shock and painful.  I was limping while running over the next few steps.

Jerry and Boone kept up with me pretty well through this section.  At times, Boone would pass me and run ahead.  Then, he'd stop and wait for Jerry.  It was kind of funny.  The dog runs well on these technical trails.  I was impressed.

I was trying to keep a good pace, so I was breathing pretty heavy.  The two of them were right on my tail too (doggy joke).  Luckily, I know the route pretty well, so I knew there would be opportunities to recover.  There was quite a bit of climbing that was taking its toll.

After some ascending, it flattens out briefly.  Then, it is on to the steepest and most technical part of the route.  It goes right up along the ski slope.  It is very rocky and does switchback at least.  I was moving pretty well and really couldn't handle too much more of it.  I got to the top, breathing very heavy.  A few years back, I had to walk a lot of this part.

Jerry and Boone had lost a little ground before the climb, but I noticed they were still not too far behind as I neared the top.  Jerry is a pretty good runner and obviously Boone is too.

I really enjoyed the downhill.  The climb had taken a ton out of me.  I was able to recover.  I had to back off a little or I'd really fall apart.  I was now running alone.  We saw a mountain biker earlier, but that was the last person I saw on the run.  Other than seeing Jerry and Boone on switchbacks every now and then, this was a solo effort.

It was good to get to 2.5 miles.  I thought I was running faster than my watch said.  Still, I was making good time and having fun.  I flew gracefully over a lot of the rocks.  I do enjoy running here.

It's nice that the trails goes around the mountain and not straight up it.  However, that means that after climbing, it drops down and then comes back up again too.  I cruised over some boardwalks.

The last ascent section was very tough.  I was breathing hard as I reached the top.  I've been lost in this area before, but was glad that I found the correct trail this time.  Around mile 3, I was at the top of the ski slope.  I didn't bother to stop.

Now, it was mostly downhill.  This part is fun and easy.  There is a rocky section here and there, but most of it is fast and smooth descending.  I enjoyed it.  The beginning was tricky, as the trail was overgrown a bit and had loose rocks.

I had worn myself down.  Therefore, I didn't work too hard and just enjoyed the downhill.  It went by fairly quickly.  The end little segment was a nice in and out and up and down run.  I was back at the parking lot in no time and happy not to be lost.

I ran out to where we started.  That finished up a nice loop.  I waited around, but was surprised that Jerry and Boone didn't come.  They seemed to be right behind me at the top.  Brian didn't show either.  I waited and waited and waited.  Finally, Lisa and the rest of the group arrived.  They somehow took a different route.  Apparently the guys ran back to them.  At least no one was lost.

It was a fun and tough run, since I pushed myself.  It was a good group too.  I just wish I lived closer to that place.  I would run there more often.

Tomorrow is a big day.  I'm going out to the Watchung Reservation for a slow, long run.  I want to do at least 3 loops of 6 miles each.  I'm hoping to run 5 loops for 30 miles.  That would be one of my longest runs ever.  I invited a lot of people, but so far only Christina is coming.  She'll be there for at least 2 loops.  That means that I'll have 1 to 3 loops on my own.  I hope the weather is good.

5.02 miles - 49:23 (9:50 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment