Monday, September 8, 2014

Cool Weather for Trexler

I took off yesterday because of the Eagles game.  After another muggy day on Saturday, today finally felt like fall.  I didn't head out until late in the evening and it was definitely much cooler then too.

I headed to Trexler for a run.  I was hoping to try to find the 10 mile loop.  It was quite windy and I ran shirtless.  I probably didn't need to, but it felt nice.  The only thing that was really wet by the end of the run was my shorts (and my shoes from the creek crossing).

I had trouble deciding where to go, but settled on Trexler.  I wanted around double digit miles and I decided that I didn't feel like traveling.  This would also give me a somewhat challenging run.

I started off the loop nice and easy.  Even early on, I didn't feel all that great.  I passed a hiker in the first mile.  The first real hill was a little struggle, but not too bad.  I was disappointed to see that the bison area was closed.  I don't know where they went.  Mile 1 was a 9:10.

I continued to cruise along.  Another woman that was hiking came down the long hill.  She had 3 little dogs with her.  They were cute and didn't bother me.  Later on, as I ascended, the dogs at the house next to the trail barked (as usual).

Even though I was going uphill, mile 2 was fast.  It was a nice 8:13.  That long hill has become so easy at this point.  Although this climbing wasn't hard, the legs didn't feel sharp.  That was surprising after a rest day.  Maybe it was due to all the elevation gain from last week.  I was also only doing my second run in my new shoes, so I wasn't sure if that had any impact.

My overall pace continued to drop.  Mile 3 had a lot of downhill and was a speedy 8:01.  This section was slightly overgrown, so I wasn't crazy about that.  I worry a lot about ticks at this place.

Finally, I got to some of the moderate hills and then the big hill.  They slowed me down a little.  The smaller hills, I still cruised up.  The big hill, I went very slowly.  The top of it is really the hardest part.  It surely does help that I know this hill by heart now.  I was breathing heavy, but got over it.  Mile 4 was a 9:38.  Not too bad, with the big hill included.

I descended the other side fairly quickly.  I did have to be careful going downhill, because I wasn't used to my shoes.  I wasn't sure how my feet would handle it.

I was breathing heavy and had little time to recover before the next hill.  That one was a struggle at times too, but I knew what it took to get over it.  I was able to do that.

I had changed my mind at this point about trying to do the 10 mile loop.  I really didn't feel all that great.  It didn't matter, since I somehow missed the turn anyway.  I want to try it in the future though, as it is quite challenging apparently.  It has more climbing.

I took my time down the next hill.  I then got to the creek crossing.  I tried to sort of run across that.  I didn't go too hard, because I didn't want to slip.  The water was kind of cold.

The big issue with the crossing was that my feet got wet.  Then, my new insoles began to bunch up.  That was a problem on Saturday too.  I guess I have to break them in or keep them dry.

I saw a deer take off after the water crossing.  I crossed the road and slowly began the easy effort ascent of the next long hill, up to the zoo.  Mile 5 clicked off at 10:13.  Sometime, I need to get this mile under 10 minute pace.  Then, I'll be able to do that for every mile of the run.

I headed on to the grass next.  I used to hate this long ascent, but now I find it easy.  It's amazing how much easier a lot of the moderate hills have become.  It was getting cooler by now too.

At the top of the grass part, I saw another deer.  It just stared at me.  I began cruising this next downhill and flat part.  That was fun, except the downhills were very annoying, with my insole issue.

I went along fairly well.  I knew it was awhile until the next real climb.  I tried to enjoy myself.  I didn't push hard, but I definitely increased my stride a bit and went a little faster.  Mile 6 was an 8:27.

I came near the creek before the climb and a little dog came out and barked at me.  It didn't follow me though.  I was pleased that the muddy section before going up, wasn't muddy today.

I took this climb slow.  I felt better than I had earlier.  Maybe it was because I was nearly done or that it was cooler.  I also had a few GU Chomps.  I was breathing a little heavy by the top, but not too bad.  Mile 7 ended up being a 9:11.  That was pretty good, considering the uphill.

I was now on the wide road.  I guess it is definitely a road, as I had to move out of the way of a KidsPeace security vehicle.  I never saw one of those there.  I thought I had heard someone say something earlier, but I'm not sure.

I felt good as the sun was setting and my pace was quite quick.  I was thrilled that I'd be running a sub 9 minute pace.  That is great, considering I was going pretty easy.  I know I can work a lot harder here.

I really enjoyed the rolling hills.  They go up, but it is gradual and like steps.  Mile 8 ended up being a speedy 7:55.

It was kind of annoying at one point, where I could see the Environmental Center.  I was nearly at that elevation.  However, I had to go down and back up to get there.

The down part was nice.  The up part isn't a lot of fun, but it is doable by this point.  This hill would be much more challenging, if not for the fact that it was almost the end of the run.  Knowing the hill was a huge plus too.  I ran up it and recovered on the short downhill.

I now had one last, short climb.  I noticed that I was going even faster than I expected.  I was close to a sub 1:15.  I busted my butt up the last hill and finished just under that mark.  I've only done that one other time and that was pacing off of Aaron and Pat.  This was my fastest solo run and more remarkable because I didn't even push myself.

It was actually only 12 seconds off of my PR on this course.  Had I known that in the last few miles, I would've really put the hammer down.  I'm sure I could've run a PR today.  Oh well, maybe I'll push more next time.

Tomorrow, I'm hopefully going to run a track workout early in the afternoon.  Then, I have a doctor's appointment.  After that, I'm hoping for a run with the Emmaus Run Inn group.  That would work out great and I need new shoes anyway.  I'm hoping they have my size.

8.45 miles - 1:14:54 (8:52 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment