Monday, September 22, 2014

First Garmin Fenix Run

After running the half marathon yesterday, I wanted a short test run for my new Garmin Fenix watch.  It's more of an outdoor/trail running watch.  It was charging all afternoon, so I didn't get out to run until the evening.  I drove all the way out to Trexler and was going to run the short half loop there.

I had read that since this watch was designed for hiking, it was a bit confusing to run with at first.  Still, I thought I could at least get it to do basic things, such as record everything that was needed.  I got a satellite signal and was ready to go.  However, the watch would only show the pace and it wouldn't start recording a time.  I pressed every button and went through all the menus, but still couldn't get it to start.  I was very frustrated.

I saw my friend Tim run by and I should've just joined him for part of the run anyway.  However, I just headed home.  It was a wasted trip.  I figured that I would run in the dark after I figured out how to work the watch.

I went out around 9 PM.  I learned that I had to set the watch to Auto Start to get it to work.  It worked this time and I was off.  The plan was a mere 4 miles.

Earlier it was cool and windy and with the sun setting, that was even more true now.  My eyes were actually watering in the beginning, it was that cold.  I was so happy for the cool weather that I wanted to cried.  It was awesome.  I just wish this was around yesterday.  At least I have something to look forward to.

I ran into the other neighborhood and decided to run the short loop.  I was really enjoying myself and feeling pretty good.  I was struggling a little with breathing in the cool air, but it was nothing like yesterday. 

Mile 1 was an 8:17.  I felt great and was barely even breaking a sweat.  The one frustrating thing was that the display was showing a real time pace and not an overall pace or a per mile pace.  I'll have to adjust that.

I added a bit to this loop and figured that I would get around 2.5 miles when I arrived back at the school.  Since was feeling good and enjoying the weather, things were awesome and the run was flying by.  Mile 2 was a 7:48.

I still had no idea on the pace at the time.  I didn't really care though, as I was in a groove.  Coming down one hill, I knew a car wouldn't see me, so I ran into the grass of a yard.  That was good because it would've been a close call.

I got to the road crossing by the school.  I had to shortly loop around, as a car was coming by.  Then, I was able to cross the road.  I was back into my neighborhood shortly.

Mile 3 was a faster 7:19.  I felt good as I was back near home.  I figured that I'd have the full loop here and then would need to add a little more to that.  This loop went by quickly.  I didn't actually try to push it, but I guess I was picking it up a bit.  I was breathing a little heavier in this final mile.  I was chewing gum though, so it was still only a moderate pace.

I finished this loop and started a partial loop.  I wasn't quite sure how to stop my watch, but I figured that I could press the main button a couple times.  I did that, but it was slightly over 4 miles.  That final full mile was a quick 6:47.

I was happy with my watch, once I figured it out.  I do still have to work on it though.  I need to figure out how to manually start it.  I also would like to have a stop button too.  At least the watch seems to work fairly well though.

I took a lot of time off at the end of last week.  That allows me to run again the rest of the week, if I choose to do so.  I'm hoping to run again tomorrow.  I'd love to hit some trails up.  It should be cool again.

4.02 miles - 30:19 (7:33 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment