Thursday, September 25, 2014

Struggling Through 8

Today was a tough day.  First, I just had no desire to get out the door and run.  I wanted to run 10 miles again and that sounded awful.  I like trail running and look forward to new adventures, but I can't do that all the time.  It rained almost all day, so the trails would've been a mess.  That meant it was a boring road running day.

Finally, I dragged myself out the door.  I didn't have the energy to drive anywhere.  I guess I wouldn't have too much trouble if I would keep my runs in the 4-6 mile range, but going out every day for 10+ miles is becoming a challenge.  I figured I would at least start and do as I felt.

The weather was tricky.  It felt freezing cold as I was walking before the run.  It was also pretty windy.  That made it on the chilly side.  However, following the rain, it was still quite humid.  I wanted to take my shirt off during the run, to prevent chafing, but it was too cold.

I started running as I got to the elementary school.  I felt slow and a little sore in the beginning.  The legs came around a little.  It actually felt nice to run in the beginning.  I was cool for the first mile to mile and a half.  That opening mile didn't feel great, but it was a fairly quick 8:07.  In the summer, that same effort was close 9 minutes.

I went around and did the extension loop that I often do.  That adds about a mile to a mile and a half to the normal loop.  I came across an older guy that was running the other way.  Mile 2 picked up to a 7:42.

I was taking it easy and even chewing gum.  I began running consistent miles.  That was amazing, considering I didn't quite know my overall pace and the terrain did change.  It does go up and down.  I was back on the main loop and mile 3 was a 7:40.

I was starting to sweat.  I anticipated cooler weather, so I didn't have my handheld with me.  It probably would've just spilled half of the water out anyway.  I climbed the biggest hill in the short loop during this next mile.  This was another consistent 7:38.

The legs were starting to tire and I felt like I was really struggling as I began heading back.  I did enjoy some of the downhill and the wind when it blew into my face.  Mile 5 was my fastest of the run at 7:26.

I decided to run part of the earlier loop.  Rather than run the whole thing, I cut straight across.  That was still probably around an addition mile.  I got through mile 6 with a 7:33.  I was exhausted by now and probably could've used water.  The sun was peeking out too.  I decided at that point that 10 miles was too much and I'd just opt for 8 miles instead.

I made my way back to the start.  I climbed the final short uphill.  There was a young girl running by in the other direction.  I didn't see her and I spit before getting to her.  She must've loved that.  Mile 7 was a 7:35.

I remained consistent as I was heading back to the school.  I got to the road crossing with about half a mile to go.  There was too much traffic and I didn't feel like waiting.  Therefore, I looped around and did the very short final loop.  That was a little over half a mile, so I stopped early.  I had thought about running more, but the slight uphill bothered my legs too much.  Still, I remained consistent with a final mile of 7:32.

Some days, I drag myself out there and feel better than I anticipated, once I start going.  Today wasn't one of those days though.  It was terrible and a real battle.  The legs were tired and I became hot.  I was glad I gave it a try though.  I think all of the trail climbing has been wearing on me.  I may need to back off.  I might even need to take a few days to a week off soon.  There's no point in forcing it.

I'm not sure what I'll do tomorrow.  Hopefully, I can get back on trails.  I was thinking of doing a track workout, but that might not be a good idea with my legs already feeling dead.  It is supposed to be another hot weekend.  I can't wait for the very cool weather to get here.  It has been better lately, but it is still not to my liking.

8 miles - 1:01:15 (7:39 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment