Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Pushing a Bit at J-Burg

Yesterday was frustrating with only 3 total miles.  At least I got to climb.  Today, I had to run more, but was going to cut back on the climbing.  I thought of traveling, but didn't have the energy.  I also didn't make it out until the evening.

I headed to Jacobsburg to run 10 miles.  I had to really hustle there after dinner.  It is getting darker and darker, earlier and earlier these days.  Doing 10 miles would take around an hour and a half.

It was relatively cool out, but I still went shirtless.  That was an awesome decision, as I felt great.  I wore my grey shorts and somehow they were still soaked by the end though.

I rarely push myself at all on trails, even fast ones like this.  I often take it easy.  However, with the sun rapidly setting, I knew I needed a decent effort.  It was about 6:45 when I finally started.

The plan was to start with the regular 6 mile loop.  After that, I figured somehow I'd go to the open field section.  That would have more light by that time.  It ended up working out pretty well.

I didn't start off pushing too much, but with rested legs, the pace was fairly brisk.  It was a great night and I enjoyed the early part along the creek.  The short climb after that and across the road wasn't bad.

I'm not a huge fan of this park, but trail running in definitely awesome, just about anywhere, anytime.  On a nice evening like this, it is very enjoyable.  I should probably be thankful for such a nice park that is close by.

Mile 1 was a 9:12.  The second mile was a much quicker 8:07.  I cruised on the downhills.  I wasn't pushing hard, but I can't say I was going easy either.  I saw a few mountain bikers and two deer on the run.  I guess I can't say that I don't see deer any more at Jacobsburg.  It is now frequent.

A lot of the run was peaceful and by myself.  The singletrack through the road crossings slowed me a little and so did the powerline climb.  I tried to take that easy.  At least the sun wasn't beating on me.  Because of the powerline, mile 3 was a 9:00.

I knew that once I made it to the top of the powerline, I could fly most of the way back to my car.  There's a lot of downhill, then some road and just a couple very short climbs.  I did just that, as mile 4 was 8:17 and mile 5 was an even quicker 7:43.  I don't often run that fast on this trail.

I was now almost back to my car.  I thought about running the ridge section, but I wasn't sure how light it would be.  That section would surely be dangerous in the dark.  I opted to take it easy and stick to the main route.  I'd have to add a little distance later.

I got back to the car right at mile 6.  It was a super quick 7:23.  I wondered how I could sustain this speed for so long.  I just kept going though.  By now, my shorts were surprisingly soaked and got more soaked, as I ran along.

I had to navigate by some people on the main path.  That's the one thing I don't care for about that area.  I felt awesome though and was simply flying up the short hills.  Mile 7 was an 8:01.  I had just begun the long ascend up to the field section.

I tried to back down my effort before this climb.  That sort of worked, however, I had been pushing too hard.  I was exhausted.  I saw another trail runner here going the other way and a hiker too.  The second switchback made it tough and so did the uneven gradual grassy part after that.

I knew I had to survive to the top.  I guess I had worked too hard though, as I started getting a side sticker.  I continued on.  Mile 8 was an 8:56.

I thought I was in the clear at this point, as I had all descending to do.  However, the side sticker didn't go away and in fact it got worse.  It was so bad that I almost had to stop while going downhill.  I was taking it easy too.

Eventually, it alleviated itself, but not before I ran an 8:37 downhill mile 9.  I guess in the grand scheme of things, that wasn't so bad.  Eventually I got back to my car and passed the runner again.  I was at 9.25 miles.

It was getting very dark by now.  I couldn't see my watch at all.  I had the bezel locked, so I couldn't light it up either.  I decided to go out and back on the main path again.

It was super dark now amongst the trees.  I passed the woman and then I turned around when the trail started to climb.  I had no idea how far I had to go.  I scared the woman, as I came back from behind her.

My watch clicked as I neared the end of the trail.  I was now at mile 10.  That mile was an 8:45.  I went to the end of the path, just slightly farther, and then walked back to the car.

It was a good run as I pushed fairly hard on trails.  I was close to my limit.  I might've done better if it wasn't so close after dinner time.  I don't know, but I was happy with the run.  I need to push myself here more often, since it is an easy trail.  It's good for speed practice.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to get on trails again.  If I don't work, Angie and I will drive down to Philly.  I want to run the Wissahickon Valley Park trails.  I haven't been there since the winter of 2013.  I love it there and miss that place.  We could have a good 10 mile run.  I love introducing people to new trails, so I hope it works out.  I'll probably do a short run as well too.  Maybe I'll do trail hill repeats, if I feel good.

10.06 miles - 1:24:33 (8:24 pace) 

No comments:

Post a Comment