Saturday, September 6, 2014

Humid South Mountain Run

I needed to break in the new shoes on Friday.  Therefore, I decided to head to South Mountain (Lehigh) for a run.  I was hoping I could do a couple loops. 

I ate a cheesesteak and felt terrible and tired all afternoon.  Therefore, I didn't run until the evening.  It was super humid again.  I hoped that the evening would make it a little better, but it didn't.  I ran shirtless and was drenched by the end.  This rivaled the worst days of the summer.

I was going to do Dave Decker's loop, but decided that I would run a little more too.  Therefore, instead of crossing the road early on, I headed downhill more.  This area has a lot of banked turns and some obstacles.  I guess it's a big mountain bike section.  It goes down and down and down.

Some of the mountain biking type of stuff was kind of annoying.  More than anything though, the humidity was a problem.  I guess I was almost to the bottom of the mountain.  I could hear Route 78 traffic right next to the trail.  Then, when the trail began ascending slightly, I turned around.

I had a big climb ahead of me.  It was tough, but I went slow.  It did kind of switchback.  I actually passed two young guys carrying their bikes up the hill.  They must've thought I was crazy for running it.  I was slow, but I did make it up.

It wasn't too long and I was back to the normal route.  Some nice climbing was done, but more was ahead.  I had a brief easier section before that though.  I struggled a little bit then when going to the very top, but I made it.

Next was some more recovery, then more uphill.  The key was that I kept running.  I enjoyed the downhill after that.  I missed a turn at the disc golf course, but quickly found the right way.

The rocky descending section wasn't too bad.  I think the new shoes did help.  They seemed kind of loose at times, as my feet felt like they were slipping.

I was next on to the road and then to the lookout.  Some people were there and probably wondering where I was going, as I headed up the trail.  I quickly got across the road. 

It was more ascending now.  I was taking it easy and it made this section kind of easy.  I never considered walking and was surprised at how quickly I got near the top.  I was super soaked, but surviving.

Then, I ran on the road.  Climbing the stairs in the open was annoying, but I was nearly done with the loop.  I ran through the parking lot to my car.  I was over 5 miles at that point and exhausted from the heat.  If the weather was better, I would've done another loop.  However, I called it a day.

I would've liked more mileage, but I wasn't too disappointed.  I climbed almost 1,000 feet, so that was good.  I broke in the shoes a bit too.

I was invited to run with Janine and her husband at the Delaware Water Gap on Saturday.  However, I was too worried about the humidity, combined with a challenging course.  I had to go elsewhere and was thinking of heading to Blue Marsh.

5.20 miles - 54:08 (10:25 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment