Saturday, July 5, 2014

Peaking With 90

After running 20 total miles yesterday, I was back on track for a 90 mile week.  I knew I still had to get in 15 today, but I also knew I'd do it.  I was determined to finish my peak marathon week strong.

I wasn't planning on running the entire 15 miles at once, so I knew this would consist of 2 runs.  I wanted to make sure to get the majority of the running done in the first run.  The plan was for 9 miles then, but I secretly hoped to make it to 10 or 11 miles.

I thought about going somewhere new.  However, I wound up at Riverview again.  For some odd reason, I never get sick of that place.  I don't necessarily enjoy it all the time, but I don't dread the thought of running there, like I do other places.  I'm not sure why.  Some other places, miles just seem long, but not so much there.

I pulled up around 1:30 PM.  It was crazy because there was a big softball tournament.  The parking lot was completely packed.  I found a spot though.  It was supposed to be cool and not very humid.  Still, I was planning to run for over an hour, so I went shirtless.

I headed out toward Easton.  The legs felt awful to start.  I sort of figured that they might.  I crossed over the river and headed to Hugh Moore Park.  I wanted to get 6 or 7 miles out, before going to my car.  Therefore, I looped around the park.

I decided to add on too.  I ran the extension to the canal.  The mules were out pulling along the canal boat.  Another cool thing is that they have a couple goats in the park, eating the weeds.  They are fenced in, but neat to see.

My first mile was a very slow 8:58.  I would've been happy with a slow run, but I am running very consistent these days.  The pace ended up getting faster.  The 2nd mile was 8 minutes flat.  Every mile after that though, was a 7:45 or faster.

I headed out toward Easton, after the loop.  I was already at almost 3 miles.  I can't say I felt great or terrible at this point.  I was just so so.  The mileage had taken its toll.  I merely focused on making it out.  I ran past the geese, in their usual spot.  I had no issues.  There were a few people out in this area, but it wasn't too busy.

This section goes up and down a little.  It is nice scenery, but nothing that special.  I don't know why the miles go by fairly quickly, but they do.  I was to Easton in no time. 

I decided to run to the park, near the dam on the Lehigh River.  There were a few people relaxing there.  That looked like fun.  When I was at 4.5 miles, I remember thinking that I didn't feel all that great and this run would be tough.

Then, for whatever reason, I seemed to get into a groove.  I passed the geese as a train came roaring on the other side of the canal.  They panicked and ran fast.  I would've figured they would be used to it.  I was laughing at them.

I was on my way back toward Hugh Moore Park.  When I arrived there, I was over 7 miles into the run.  I decided that I'd loop around the park again.  I also added the out and back extension for a bit.

I was thrilled as I got near the river crossing.  I realized that I'd be around mile 9 when I got to my car.  It definitely wasn't hot, but I was sweating more than I thought I'd be.  I felt better at mile 9 than I did at mile 4.5 though.  It was odd, but this does seem to happen to me a lot.

Since I felt pretty good and still had water left, I skipped stopping at my car.  I headed out toward the Boat Launch.  I was at mile 9.2 when I got to my car.  I then planned to go to mile 10.2 and turn around.

I was to that turnaround point in no time.  There was a guy running slow and he was about 4/10 of a mile ahead of me when we passed initially.  I caught him pretty quickly.  I wasn't working hard, but I was flying.  Miles 10 and 11 were 7:19 and 7:16, respectively.  I finished up right before the ball field.  My friend Jennie was hanging out there and playing a game later, so I talked to her briefly.

It was great to have 11 miles done.  I knew the last 4 mile run would be easy.  I ate dinner and relaxed only briefly.  I wanted to get that run in before IndyCar qualifying was on TV.  The plan was a short neighborhood run.

I headed out around 6:15 PM.  The legs felt awful and I thought I was slow.  I guess they were warmed up though.  I ran a very surprising 8:05 first mile.

I guess my body knew this was a short run.  It was an unplanned progression run.  I ran through the other neighborhood first.  I figured that the short loop would get me to around 2 miles.  It was fun and quick.

Before long, I was back at the school and over 2.5 miles.  Mile 2 was a 7:39.  I ran to the playground behind the school and added about a half mile loop to the run.  I wore a shirt to start this run, but took it off because it was hot.

Mile 3 was a 7:19.  I was getting faster and faster.  Not bad, considering I was ending my 89th mile of the week.  I ran into my neighborhood and did the shorter loop.  I looked at my watch often.  I had to go past my house and out another 2 blocks.  I finished with a speedy 7:07 last mile.  I got done in just over half an hour.

I was glad to be through the day.  I ran 35 miles in the last 2 days alone.  That was tough.  I've also run 2 times a day for 3 straight days now.  I don't run doubles all that often.  I usually just run long.  I didn't get the long run in that I wanted this week, but I did stress my body pretty well.  My endurance is good going into the taper.

I'm taking tomorrow off and I'm going to the IndyCar race.  My body will thank me for the rest.  With less then 3 weeks left, I'm going to start to taper.  I've never done those well.  We'll see how it goes.  I'm going to run less mileage, but try to pick up the intensity.  I'm hoping for a lot of shorter runs around a 7 minute pace.  That would be good practice for my marathon.

I'll run again Monday.  I'm not sure where or when.  I don't know how long either.  I'm hoping for about 55 miles this week.  I'll do even less the following week and then even less the week after that.  Maybe I can get my legs to be very fresh and sharp for a change.  I'll work some more on my heat adaptation too.  I might need to get back to drills now and keep lifting too.

Afternoon Run 11 miles - 1:25:00 (7:44 pace)
Evening Run 4 miles - 30:10 (7:33 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment