Thursday, July 24, 2014

Almost Go Time

Tomorrow it is finally here, the Ultra Around the Lake Marathon.  I guess I'm crazy to be running a marathon in the summer.  However, I'm happy with how I prepared.  Now, I just have to run smart.

Yesterday was very frustrating.  I was so excited about the side trip to Ithaca.  It was raining on and off.  The rain was very heavy, when it did come down.  When I got to Ithaca, it was really coming down and didn't look like it was going to get better.  I had to skip the run, so I was very frustrated.

My legs don't often feel too great after an off day.  I definitely didn't want to head into the marathon with 2 off days in a row.  Of course, I didn't want to run much either.  I just wanted to keep the legs loose.  I opted for 3 easy miles.

It was beautiful out this afternoon.  So much so that I even wore a shirt.  That did have me sweating a little by the end though.  I'd sure take this weather all summer.

I started at my house.  I decided I'd run most of the Blue Eagle 5k course.  I tried to go insanely slow.  So slow that it almost felt like walking.  At least I was relaxed.

Originally, I was thinking this would be about 9 minute pace.  I couldn't even manage to go that slow.  Mile 1 was an 8:38.

I tried to stay consistent and slow.  The legs were good and capable of so much more.  I am happy with that and they are very well rested.  Mile 2 ended up with a little downhill and while I tried to remain slow, I did end up running an 8:22

I continued to just coast.  This run was quite uneventful and there wasn't much to monitor for a change.  I just moved along.  I thought about that fact that this is actually race pace for some people.  I was right around 8:30 overall.  The last mile was an 8:29 and overall I ended up with an 8:30.

It certainly wasn't a productive run today.  It was good to shake the legs out.  I'm so ready for tomorrow and to get going.  The weather looks decent for the night race, so I'm excited about that.

I thought I adapted very well to the warm weather at a slower pace.  I wasn't very confident that I'd run a BQ time.  Now, I'm not sure.  It might be nice enough for me to do that.  The weather will certainly be the biggest factor in this.

I'm bringing a lot of different stuff and I'll make game time decisions on what to wear.  I think I'm definitely going to run with the handheld.  Hopefully that will help me stay fueled and hydrated.  That would be a big plus.  I guess no matter what, I'm going to just try to go and have fun.  I'll be off for a week or two after the race.

3 miles - 25:29 (8:30 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment