Tuesday, July 15, 2014

More Company

Yesterday was a disappointment, but it was time to put that behind me.  I was very excited to be meeting up to run with Kristin this morning.  I need company more often and we get along well.

The plan was to meet at 8 AM along the D&L at Farmersville Road.  A couple weeks ago was the first time that I actually started there.  We were going to run out to the east and back.  It would be a total of 7 miles.

I was wondering how this section would be.  We had a lot of storms last night.  It wasn't bad.  The temperature was nice, but the humidity was insane.  It was noticeable right away during the run.  I was glad that I went shirtless, even though that didn't help enough.  My shorts were completely soaked afterward.

The legs didn't feel all that great early on.  I'm honestly not a big fan of this section.  I don't know why, but my legs don't like the stone all that much.  I got a phone call from work early on.  That interrupted the run.

I told Kristin to continue on and I'd catch up.  I has to push a bit though.  I forget how much of a speed demon she is.  Eventually, I got to her.

The first mile was an 8:36.  I think that might've been when I stopped too.  We picked it up after that.  I was already soaked and glad for the company, to take my mind off of it some.  There were a few people on bikes that went flying by.  Most of this section, we were on our own though.

We ran through the singletrack section to the Boat Launch.  The rain had soaked the path and some of the weeds next to the trail were now draping over it.  I ran first and hit a couple spider webs too.  That part was no fun.

I was surprised that we weren't even at mile 2 when we got to the Boat Launch.  Kristin went cruising up the hill.  I just relaxed.  It did suck because the sun was out now.  At least we had coverage earlier.

I enjoyed getting on to pavement for awhile.  The run was moving by fairly quickly.  Conversation kept me from looking at my watch too often.  Mile 2 was a 7:38 and so was mile 3.  That is sure consistent.

I was struggling with my breathing at this effort.  It was a lot like yesterday.  It felt humid, but the air just seemed even thicker than normal.  It was hard to breathe at this easy effort.

I was glad to get to 3.5 miles and turn around.  My watch was actually at 3.47 miles.  Kristin was a little ahead because I forgot to restart my watch right away after work called.  Work called again around mile 4 and I had to stop again.

Now, I had to chase Kristin down again.  That was a bit of a challenge.  Mile 4 was an 8:01.  Before I caught Kristin, she actually stopped to work out some kinks in her quad.  She ran Spartan on Sunday and was still recovering.

I kept going and was running alone for a bit.  Kristin reeled me in, but it took awhile.  I was glad to have a little time to recover alone.  It allowed me to run my own pace and since I was struggling to breathe, I tried slowing down a bit.  She caught up soon after that.  The leapfrogging was over.

Instead of taking the bottom route from the Boat Launch, we took the wider main road.  This was much better for today.  No cars were headed to the Boat Launch either.  I ran mile 5 at 7:37.

Things were actually feeling better now as I headed back.  I guess I got a little more used to the awful conditions.  They were sure brutal.  These final 2 miles just flew by.  Mile 6 was 7:53 and mile 7 was 7:35.  Kristin ran the last one even faster, as she cruised ahead at the end.  I stayed relaxed.

It was a terrible run, from a weather standpoint.  However, Kristin made getting through it so much better.  I was very grateful for that.  It was an easygoing run, thanks to the company.  Summer running would be so much better with her or other friends to run with regularly.  Although I don't like getting up early for a run, it is nice to have the run out of the way.

I'm right on schedule for this low mileage week.  I think I might run a little bit longer tomorrow.  Maybe it will be 10-12 miles.  It is supposed to be less humid on Thursday.  I'd love to hit the track then.  That would be a shorter workout.

7 miles - 54:58 (7:51 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment