Monday, July 14, 2014

Caught Off Guard

I didn't get a chance to run yesterday.  That was my off day, so I was back at it today.  It was another week of tapering.  The plan was to run 7 miles.

I wish I could've got up early to run.  I didn't work, so I could've run in the late morning too.  However, as usual I put it off.  I did finally begin around 1:30 in the afternoon.  Some powerful storms were coming, so I had to get out there.

I wore the usual attire, no shirt and just shorts.  I knew it would be humid.  It sure was and it even caught me off guard.  The plan was to run straight through the other neighborhood and on more of a backcountry type road.  This made for a different route near home, but also added some lightly traveled roads.

I headed out through the neighborhood.  I was planning to take the shortest possible route there.  As is usually the case after a rest day, the legs felt kind of crappy, rather than fresh.  I did work with weights last night, so that might've had something to do with it.

I ran by a woman emptying her garbage and then a ton of people were doing yardwork before the storm.  Mile 1 was kind of uneventful, but a decent 8:11 pace.  It was nice to have a different route.  I wasn't getting bored, but the humidity was a little interesting.  It was cloudy during the run.  I was glad because I didn't have much shade, if I would've needed it.

I headed out of the neighborhood.  I was then on my way to Steuben Road, to run by some houses and fields.  As I was turning, I happened to see someone from elementary and high school drive by.  He owns a business and was in his car.  I wasn't sure if he'd recognize me, but he waved.

I was going a little faster at mile 2.  That mile was a 7:35.  It didn't feel too fast, but the dense air was making it kind of hard to breathe.

I focused on getting out to mile 2.5 and then 3.  This was a bit of a struggle.  There aren't any killer hills in this part, but it is a gradual climb.  I crossed over one road and shortly after that, I hit mile 3.  That was a 7:24.

I turned around and headed back.  I wish I would've gone out another half mile, but I was beat.  I figured I'd add on somewhere in the neighborhood.

Coming back was such a struggle.  It was very tricky, as it didn't feel super hot and humid, but it was clearly getting to me.  I just focused on the upcoming mile. 

I arrived at mile 4 with a 7:36 mile.  I was falling apart though.  I knew I'd make it to mile 5, but I wasn't sure of anything beyond that.  I should be more used to the weather than I was.  Maybe that got me or maybe I didn't eat enough lunch.  Whatever the case, the legs were very tired too for some reason.

I climbed a short, but steep hill near the neighborhood.  I had to run around a garbage truck.  I was then back into the neighborhood.  The beginning of this 5th mile was a 7:51 at one point.  It got back down to 7:42 by the end.  The road had flattened out.

It took a lot for me to keep going after mile 5.  It was clear I was slowing down and of course I could finish the run, but it was starting to seem like a waste.  I just kept on at it.  I at least could get back to the school and mile 6.  Then, maybe I'd add another mile. 

I had taken a slightly longer route back to the school on the way back.  That added a little more distance.  I hit mile 6 right near the school.  That was a slow 7:52 mile.  I was falling off a lot.  Even very easy slight uphills were a struggle.

Ran than push on for another worthless mile, I stopped and walked home.  At least I got to mile 6.  This run was very disappointing though.  I sure can't wait for better weather.  I'll be flying in the fall.

Tomorrow, I'm going to meet Kristin in the morning.  We will run on the D&L for an hour.  I guess that will be like 7 or 8 miles.  It will be good to run with someone.  I'm only running 40 miles this week, so that shouldn't be too hard to get to.

6 miles - 46:21 (7:43 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment