Saturday, July 19, 2014

Hugh Moore 4

I camped out in the yard and didn't get out and run with the BCR this morning.  I only had 4 miles left anyway on this easy week.  I headed out early in the afternoon to run it.

I couldn't decide where to go at first.  Finally, I thought I'd head to Riverview.  Then, I decided to go across the river to Hugh Moore Park to start the run.  It would be a lot of the same route as Riverview.

I was quite nice out.  The temperature was in the 70s and the humidity was low.  Having shade was a big help too.  I ran shirtless again.

Rather than take the usual road out of the park, I decided to run the canal section.  I run the canal farther down, but never in this section.  It wasn't bad, but it is a nature path and the grass is a little high.  I had to avoid some animal poop in the beginning.  I had done a short paved loop before that.

The legs felt the last two days of running.  They weren't terrible, but a little sluggish at the beginning.  I felt pretty good by the end of the run though.  It just took a bit to warmup.

The first mile was an 8:26.  This ended right where the canal met up with my normal section.  I was running nice and slow.  Of course as I got faster, the pace picked up a bit.

I noticed that the canal had very little water in it.  I'm not sure if they drained it for some reason.  On the plus side, the geese were nowhere to be found.  I headed out along the pavement and saw a number of people out on bikes.  I guess that is because it is a nice Saturday afternoon.  Usually, this section is quiet.

I had to go out past mile 2.  I finished that mile with a solid 7:42.  I continued on.  Shortly after that, I came to a circle part of the trail, that goes under an old railroad bridge.  I wanted to take another path, but it was overgrown a little, so I turned around and headed back.  I was at 2.3 miles.

I cruised along some more and just enjoyed myself.  I finished up mile 3 with a 7:36.  I was getting faster, but still taking it easy.  I wasn't breathing hard and I was chewing gum.  I looked at my watch more frequently.

My final mile was a 7:27.  I finished up with the 25th Street Bridge overhead.  I had a short walk back to the car.  It was a nice and solid way to end the week.

I have less than a week until the marathon.  I will be taking it very easy.  Tomorrow will probably be my last decent run.  I'm hoping to do about 10 miles.  I'd like to meet up with Mertz in the morning, if I can.  I want a decent pace for it.  Maybe I can build a little more confidence.

4 miles - 31:12 (7:48 pace)   

No comments:

Post a Comment