Saturday, July 12, 2014

Getting Back on Track

The beginning of the week was frustrating.  I was tapering, but felt like crap.  I guess now that the week is ending and my body is recovering, I'm starting to feel great.  I needed 9 miles today to hit my goal of 55 for the week.

I didn't want to run all 9 miles at once.  I didn't make it to the race this morning.  I was kind of pressed for time for the first run.  I headed over to the elementary school for a few short loops.  I figured that if I could knock out 3 miles, I'd only have to do 6 later on.

It was nice in the morning, but by 10:30 AM, it wasn't all that great.  We've had worse days for sure.  It was still hot though.  My shorts got pretty sweaty in a short run.  I went shirtless as usual.  I guess running out in the open wasn't helping either.

The first mile was a 7:53.  That was faster than usual.  The legs were fresh and sharp.  I got bored with these loops fairly quickly.  Not only was I going around the front and side of the school, but I looped around that back too.

Each loop was about a half mile.  I guess I did 5 of them and maybe 6.  I'm not quite sure.  I got bored and lost count.  I thought about going a different way, but decided to stick with this.

I wasn't pushing any more, but the speed was getting faster.  Mile 2 was a 7:23 and mile 3 was a 7:11.  That was solid.  I was very happy to sneak the pace in under 7:30.

Since the second run would be short and I felt fresh, I considered running it hard.  Then, after standing at Quadzilla registration, my legs were tired.  I figured I'd just run however I felt.

I was out in the western part of the Lehigh Valley.  I thought that that was kind of close to Jim Thorpe.  Really, it wasn't.  However, I drove there anyway.  I knew that fresh scenery would be a huge advantage.

I parked by the Glen O Falls.  It was packed there as I expected.  My plan was to run the D&L to downtown Jim Thorpe.  I'd add on any needed mileage in the other direction.

I headed out toward Jim Thorpe.  The road into the parking area is very long.  Since there isn't too much traffic, I started by running on the pavement.  That was better than the stone trail.  The scenic train went by early on.

I was probably about 3/4 of a mile into the run when I had go on the trail.  There's a really cool bridge over the river.  This part was annoying because a lot of slow bikers were there.  I actually ran past 2 of them.  Mile 1 was a super fast 7:11.

Running over the bridge on the was outstanding.  Then, it was on to the stone trail.  I don't like this part much.  The stones are small, but they seem quite loose.  Still, the pace was quick.  Mile 2 was a 6:58.  My pace definitely wasn't easy, but not hard either.

It was hot and humid for sure.  However, the temperature difference when compared to back home was noticeable.  I wore a sweatband too.  That might've helped some.  There was a little breeze as well.

I passed some old trains that are in different states of repair.  I next got to the train station area in downtown. I ran out to mile 2.5.  That was good enough for the turnaround. 

They are putting a big bridge in this area too I guess.  I'm not sure what for.  It looks interesting though.  I did enjoy that the parking lot had pavement.

Heading back was tough.  I was back on stone and it definitely felt like I was running uphill.  Mile 3 was a 6:47.  I was still cruising. 

At one point, my overall pace changed like crazy.  I looked at my current mile and it said 7:52.  The pace then went back to where it was supposed to be.  I think it just had a glitch, but fixed itself.  Mile 4 was a solid 7:04.

I wasn't enjoying the stone, so I just tried to look forward to the pavement again.  It wasn't long before I was crossing back over the river.  I ran along the road again.  I was breathing a little heavy by now, but trying to stay consistent.  I didn't have any water with me or in the car, so I was a little worried.  I stayed with it though.

I passed a bunch of people heading back, including a very cute young lady.  It was good to get back to my car.  Mile 5 was a 6:46.  My overall pace was flirting with 7 minutes flat for awhile.

I headed out on the stone section to the north.  That didn't last long.  I didn't enjoy that section.  I decided to just run out and back on the access road for the last mile.  I was going to go to mile 5.57, but I continued on past that.  Finally, at 5.65 miles I turned around.

I had just a short bit to go.  I finished up with a 6:44 last mile.  I was pushing a bit with the heat by that point, but not falling off.  I was just looking to run this run with a sub 7:30.  I was very happy to run it under 7 minute pace.

It was good to push myself a little in the heat.  I'd like to get two runs of 8 miles at this pace or faster this week.  I want to get used to a 7 minute pace.  That would be nice to run in the marathon, although I think it will be hard.

Tomorrow, I'm going over to Quadzilla to watch the race.  It will be fun to do that for a change.  I'm not sure yet if I'm going to run or take off.  I'll be off either tomorrow or Monday.  I'm not sure yet.  I guess we'll see what I'm up to tomorrow.  This coming week, I'm only going to run 40 miles.

AM Run 3 miles - 22:26 (7:29 pace)
PM Run 6 miles - 41:30 (6:55 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment