Monday, May 26, 2014

Short and Speedy



I’m very happy with how my recovery is going.  After 8 miles yesterday, I wanted a shorter 5 mile run today.  We were busy at Carb Day at the track and I didn’t get out to run until the evening.  We had not eaten dinner yet, so I decided to go to the same area as yesterday and have my dad relax while I ran.  Then, we went to eat.

I had him drive through Butler’s campus for this Friday evening run.  There is a nice botanical garden across from the canal.  I ran through it yesterday.  It was nice weather for sitting around, but a little hot and humid for a run.  I’m still not used to the heat.  I wore shorts and a sleeveless shirt.

I was going to run north, the opposite of yesterday.  However, when I got there, a cute girl ran south and another decent looking one followed her shortly there after.  A speedy guy went that way too.  I figured everyone was running south, so I might as well too.

I chased after everyone and was moving at a pretty good clip early on.  It was definitely faster than I usually start out.  I ran around some geese.  I would see them later.  I was glad that they weren’t ever a problem.  I also passed a very attractive young lady running the opposite way.

The closest girl wasn’t going very fast.  I passed by her fairly early on.  Since it took me awhile to put on my shoes and the other girl was moving at a decent pace, I never did see her.  She must’ve turned off somewhere too.

I kept going faster and faster.  I wasn’t gaining much ground on the fast guy.  I was slowly reeling him in.  He was probably going for an easy run and maybe a fairly long run, and yet he was still probably run sub 7 minute miles.  My first mile was a 7:02.

I pushed it even faster.  As I approached the guy, he turned around.  I guess he heard me coming and was probably surprised that someone was actually passing him.  I was working fairly hard.  At about 1.25 miles, I got by him and went around a couple that was walking.

I didn’t want to let up yet.  I figured that I could at least go hard until mile 2.  Then, I could turn around and back off.  I was getting a nice workout.  My breathing was heavy.  I turned around and that second mile was a blazing fast 6:20.

One of the good and bad things about running in the city is that it makes me more competitive.  I run hard sometimes like today.  When I was living in Philly, I probably did that too often.

Although the legs didn’t feel too bad, there was still some lingering soreness.  I couldn’t quite go as fast as I probably would’ve on fresher legs.  Regardless, I was moving.  I back off on the 3rd mile, but not by much.  I still ran that one at a 6:38.  The overall pace was around 6:40.

I kept telling myself to keep the quick pace for another half mile.  Before long, I was back where I started and at mile 4.  That mile was a 6:36.  

I headed back in the other direction now.  It was a short lived trip though.  The trail only goes out 1/3 of a mile before it becomes a shared road.  I remembered this from last year and had no desire to run there.  Instead, I turned around.

I went out past where I started and continued on.  I had to dodge the geese along with a bunch of bikes.  I was tiring, but still not losing pace.  The final mile was another consistent one.  It was another 6:38.

This was a bit of a challenging workout, but a lot of fun.  I should push the pace like this a little more often.  Everything for me is either very hard or very easy.  For this one, I did almost develop a side stitch.  Breathing in the hot air was a struggle.  It was nice to get the legs moving at a brisk pace again.

I’m hoping to run with the Indy Runners in the morning.  I have no idea how big their group is or what kind of paces they run.  I didn’t want to take too big of a chance and overdo it today.  I should be fairly fresh tomorrow.  They are running on a paved trail though, so I’m not sure how fast or how long I can go tomorrow.  Regardless, I’ve recovered better than expected this week and I’m happy with my progress.

5 miles – 33:14 (6:39 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment