Wednesday, May 21, 2014

50 Miler Recovery Run

I didn't feel too bad after sunday's 50 Mile Dirty German race.  There was plenty of soreness, but it wasn't worse than I expected.  The quads were the problem and walking up and down stairs was difficult.  I didn't take a single day off from exercise.  I road by bike on both Monday and Tuesday.  That was a good way to get moving, without the legs taking a pounding.

There is still some slight soreness today, but things are much better.  I felt good enough to do a short run, so I figured that I would do that just to get the legs going again.  After my 50k, I went to Monocacy Park in Bethlehem on a Wednesday.  I only ran 2 miles that time.

That was a good place to run, so I decided to do the same thing this time.  Maybe I'll make it a post ultra tradition.  It is a good place to run because it is soft dirt, with few roots or rocks and no inclines.  It's also fun.  It is only about a mile out and back, so that's why I don't usually run there other than these short runs.

I felt good early on.  I cruised in and out along the creek.  It was a blast.  There were a few fishermen, but otherwise I had everything to myself.  It was cloudy out, although a little sticky.

I was thrilled to get through a half mile.  The pace was quite quick too, considering that I'm still running on beat up legs.  Eventually, the singletrack disappears at a railroad track.  I crossed over those and found the path on the other side.  It is wider.  I think it might be part of the nearby cross country course.

This section isn't as much fun or as soft, but it is still alright.  I think the trail actually might go out past the road crossing.  However, the road was busy, so I turned around.  I was at .97 miles anyway.

Now, I ran the main path back most of the way.  That was okay.  I could've actually run farther, but I figured 2 miles would be enough.  Some kids were dressed in costumes along the trail.  I have no idea what that was about.  The first mile was over 9 minutes, but this one was much faster.  I was just over 8 minutes.

I got back to the fun part toward the end.  Then, I had about 2/10 to go.  Therefore, I ran uphill along the sidewalk to finish.  I ended the run with 2 miles, right at the top of the hill.

This was a good, easy run.  I'm going to be in a car for about 11 hours as we head to Indianapolis.  Hopefully, I can run there tomorrow.  There is a nice trail system there, but you have to pay to use it.  On Saturday, I might meet up with their run club for a group run.

2 miles - 17:20 (8:40 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment