Thursday, May 8, 2014

Bears and Brews Trail Run and Recovery Run

Yesterday, I forgot about the group trail run at Bear Creek.  I had to work in the evening, so I arrived there about 13 minutes late.  I was hoping someone might hang around and wait to start.  However, they were all gone when I arrived.

I usually don't run trails hard, but I decided to really push myself and see if I could catch anyone.  The tough part is that it is mostly uphill to start.  You basically climb to the top of a ski slope over 3 miles, before coming downhill on a faster and wider part.

The beginning is a little flat.  I cruised through there.  I was flying over the rocks.  I pushed hard on the early climbs.  The nice thing is that the climbs kind of go in segments.  I made it through the first climb fairly well.  The first mile was a 9:51.  I was hoping it would be a little faster.

My breathing was laboring a bit and I was sweating a lot.  I've struggled on these climbs so much in the past, but that wasn't the case today.  I was working hard, but I was making it through.

I was surprised when I got to the steepest climb.  I caught up to Jo and another women.  I didn't think I would catch anyone in the climb, particularly this soon.  Shortly after that, I saw a dog come down the trail.  It turns out it was the other woman's dog.

This climb was a little tough, but I got up it better than I ever have.  At the top, I passed two more people, as they rested at the top of the climb.  Now, I had some fun switchbacks and downhill or flat.  This section helped because I could see more people ahead of me.

I kept pushing and I got to the next three people.  The last one was my friend Tim Nash.  I passed him and the other two.  I saw my other friend Tim Lambert up ahead.  He stopped briefly and I flew past him too.

I was having fun pushing close to as hard as I could.  It was great catching people too.  I was sort of making it into a game.  There are some more climbs right before getting to the top.  These were very tough and I started to slip a bit.  I couldn't have climbed much more without my legs falling off.  Luckily, I made it to the top.

At the top, I saw the top four guys.  They apparently were waiting there for awhile.  I guess they didn't see me, as they took off.  Now, I was happy to go downhill.  I knew I could fly.  My pace on the way up had been around 9:30.

I passed Wayne on the early downhill.  I loved the long and flat switchbacks.  I was gradually catching the third Tim.  Eventually, he saw me coming and let me go by him.

It was such a blast to keep pushing downhill.  I passed another guy, Pat.  Aaron was leading the group and he stopped, but I kept going.

After the long singletracks, it was on to the fun rocky, narrow sections.  I flew over the rocks.  I was just hoping not to crash.  I could hear someone coming from behind.  Eventually, we started the last of the short climbs.  I just let Aaron go past me.

It was good I let him go, because I would've got in a way.  The short hills killed me.  I nearly had to walk.  I kept running though.  It was my goal to keep running.  I sometimes get lost in this section.  I looked at my watch and was thrilled for it under 9 minute pace overall. 

I made it to the end and was beat.  I don't know if I've ever run under 50 minutes on this trail before.  Today, I pushed and pushed and ran under 46 minutes.  It was a speedy downhill 2 miles.

It was good to hang around for awhile afterward too.  Everyone else drank beers.  I just chatted with them.

Earlier in the day, I ran a recovery run after last night's 5k.  I wanted an 5 easy miles in my neighborhoods.  I didn't have a lot of time with work in the evening.

It was decent weather, but a little humid.  I wore shorts and short sleeve shirt.  I was sweating by the end.

I haven't been on roads in awhile.  I was surprised at how awful my legs felt in the first mile.  I guess it was due to the hard 5k the night before.  Eventually, they came around.  The first mile was an 8:02.

I slowly got faster and faster.  I didn't feel great though.  I sure didn't feel fast.  I was going pretty easy. 

The run was okay, but it wasn't too exciting.  I was amazed at how easy all these hills are.  I took the long loop.  I even added the neighborhood with the big hill.  Mile 2 was a 7:34 and Mile 3 was a 7:26.

I continued to cruise around easy.  With the humidity, my breathing struggled a little.  I was chewing gum though, so I wasn't working too hard.  The 4th mile was a 7:17.

I finished up right before the end of the neighborhood.  This final mile was a 7:14.  I didn't plan it this way, but every mile got faster.  The overall pace was slightly over 7:30.

It was a good pair of runs today.  I recovered on one and pushed myself on the other.  I had some fun with friends too.  Tomorrow, I might run fast again.  I'm not quite sure.  I know I don't want to run too long.

Afternoon run 5 miles - 37:35 (7:31 pace)
Evening run 5.14 miles - 45:52 (8:56 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment