Sunday, May 4, 2014

Pine Grove Furnace State Park Test Run



Today is the beginning of my big training weekend, in preparation for the 50 miler in two weeks.  The main training will be on Saturday and Sunday, when I hope to run 20-25 miles each day.  I wanted to combine this weekend with some camping and get in some good trail running.  Today was a shorter run to test the trails out here at Pine Grove Furnace State Park.

We camped here a few years ago, but I was sick all weekend and couldn’t run.  I wanted to get back to running this area.  The Appalachian Trail runs through here.  The park is surrounded by a state forest and there are numerous trails.  The real trick will be picking the correct runs.  Last week, the trails I ran weren’t too hilly or technical.  This week, I expect some more climbing.

The weather was nice when I started this late Friday afternoon run.  It was chilly standing around, but great running weather.  I threw on shorts and a short sleeve shirt as usual.  I carried a handheld too, even though I didn’t expect this to be a long run.

I looked at the map and saw that the AT goes out about 2.5 to 3 miles and then meets up with another trail to the Sunset Rocks overlook.  I figured that this would be a simple route that would get me at least 7 miles, possibly more.

Right on the back of our campground is this Creekside Trail.  It’s only half of a mile and easy.  I figured that it would be a good way to start.  It was pretty with a creek right next to the trail and among the pine forest.  

My legs aren’t terrible, but early on, I could tell they were feeling the miles from a big week.  This loop was fun.  Then, it was on to the park road.  After that, I’d head on the main road for a short distance and then to the AT.  This road section sucked and my legs didn’t enjoy it.  I decided to walk some of it.

The AT is part trail, part road to some small summer houses in the beginning.  They are neat and I’m jealous of the people that own them.  There was some tough early climbing.

Eventually, I decided to walk uphill.  That was mainly because it was early and I didn’t know what was in store for me.  I wanted to save myself a bit.  I didn’t walk for too long.  Soon enough, it flattened out and I was able to run.

Some of the uphill had water running down the trail.  That made for a sloppy run and my feet got wet.  It was fun for a bit.  After going uphill, I was disappointed that the trail went back downhill.  I hated climbing and then dropping back down.

I got several miles out and began to wonder where the trail to Sunset Rocks was.  Finally, I saw a car in a little parking area.  You can drive to where the Sunset Rocks Trail begins.  I took that trail from there.  There was actually a cool wooden footbridge on the AT right at this spot too.  It went over a creek.

I had to climb a little, but it wasn’t too steep.  I ran most of it.  I got to a Y and I guess I took the wrong turn.  I wouldn’t realize it until later.  I kept going and the trail flattened out.

It became a wide fire road with lots of standing water.  It was hard not to get my feet wet.  I kept going out, but noticed that the trail was no longer blazed.  Earlier, I saw what I thought might be a spot where the trail turned.  As I saw a road up ahead, and didn’t think I’d cross one, I turned back around.

I got to where I thought I missed the turn, but there was nothing there.  I was confused, so I headed back on the fire road.  I figured that I could at least take this out to the road.  I was over 3.5 miles by now.  I had wasted over half a mile in this area.

I finally made it to the road and saw the blue blazes again.  I followed it up the road and then managed to go behind a house.  Then, it started climbing, so I figured that I had the right spot.

I came to some rocks with a view, but it wasn’t a clear view.  I was disappointed and headed back down.  Then, it dawned on me that I didn’t see the setting sun.  I went back up the trail and moments later found Sunset Rocks.

These rocks were much bigger and seeing the sun nearly setting with the mountain behind it was kind of nice.  The only issue was that there were a lot of trees in the way.  It wasn’t a clear view.  At least the trees had no leaves on them.  I was kind of disappointed with this view.

I headed back.  Now, I was at 4.5 miles, but that included almost a full wasted mile.  I was glad most of this route was flat or downhill.  Still, I had a little climb in the middle.  I ran a lot of it, but at one point, I got tired and walked.

I went flying downhill then.  It was a lot of fun.  I’m amazed at how fast trail miles go by.  They are just such a blast.  I was leaping everywhere.  I did have to be careful on the wet section.  I didn’t want to slip.

It wasn’t long until I was back to the State Park.  I ran on the Creek Trail again.  I came out to my camper at just over 8 miles.  This run was just about what I wanted.  I told my dad that it would take about an hour and a half and I was within minutes of that.

There was a little bit of challenging climbing.  However, this section was definitely runnable.  I wish the AT by our house was this easy to run.  Tomorrow, I’m going to try a different route.  There is some easy running to one of the park’s lakes.  Then, if I can get water there, I’m going to try the park’s best climb.  If not, I’ll run back to the camper.  

There is also an Environmental Center that is 6 trail miles away.  I plan on running out and back there too.  Those miles will be more flat.  I’m hoping I can grab some water there as well.  After that, I’ll see if I need to run any more.  Sunday might be more of the same.

8.21 miles – 1:25:45 (10:27 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment